[17] Game Over

It was a spontaneous situation. Ayato understood that much.

As the boy rose, Ayato closed the door behind him, stealing a glance at the clock. He had enough time to settle this before anyone else interrupted.

Approaching the boy, Ayato towered over him and locked eyes. "You're Gema Takagaki, the club's leader."

It wasn't a question but a statement, leaving the boy unsure of Ayato's intentions.

Ayato sighed, momentarily closing his eyes before fixing his gaze on Gema. "You need to step down from your club."

"W-what?" Gema stammered, clearly baffled.

"Step down," Ayato repeated calmly, startling Gema.

"What are you saying?!" Gema exclaimed in disbelief. "Who do you think you are? Are you out of your mind?"

While Gema ranted, Ayato rummaged through his bag and threw the papers on the desk. The sudden silence caught Gema's attention as he hesitantly picked up the prints.

"Your decision to violate your club member's privacy put them in a dangerous situation," Ayato explained, nodding toward the papers. "Someone like you shouldn't lead a club."

"I..." Gema faltered, unsure. "I don't have to be intimidated by you." His tone betrayed his uncertainty.

Seeing Gema's resolve weaken, Ayato pressed on. "You don't want this exposed, do you? It could damage the club's reputation, not just its members. Quit, and I won't speak a word about it."

Lowering his head in defeat, Gema recognized the numbers and messages, realising the severity of the messages and their implications. Clutching the papers, hands trembling, he asked, "What happens if I don't?"

Ayato's expression remained firm as he replied, "Then I'll personally take those messages to the student council. You won't like their approach as much as mine."

"I understand..." Gema grew quiet. Ayato sensed the decision was made. "I'll step down by next week. You can count on that."

"Good," Ayato nodded. He could almost feel bad for him if it weren't for the fact that all of this happened because of him. To add fire to the fuel, he clasped the boy's shoulder, leaning in. "You deserve that much for what you've done."

The boy tensed, closing his mouth.

After watching him for a moment, Ayato stepped back and left the room. He walked into the hallway, the bell signalling the end of class.

Letting out a breath, Ayato felt the tiredness from today's activities sinking in. He had to do a lot today and hoped it would all pay off.

Taking a different route to avoid the busy sight of students, a thought crossed his mind. If the class was over, that meant his teacher was done with his job as well.

Freezing, Ayato realised he had little time before Mido would be coming home, expecting to see him there. As he rushed out of the building, he knew he had to make it home in time before his teacher did. Thankfully, he spotted the car in the parking lot as he crossed the school grounds.

As Ayato headed for the bus stop and got into the vehicle, he kept his eyes trained on the parking lot. It wasn't until the bus turned the corner that he noticed his teacher walking out of the building.

Ayato slid into his seat, blocking himself from view as he peered out the window. He might make it. If traffic was busy, there was a chance he would be home before him—at least, that's what he hoped.

The ride felt like it took forever as he finally reached his stop and got off the bus. Ayato hurried into the building, taking the elevator to his floor and heading for the apartment door.