[14] Living Situation

This was strange.

As Ayato sat on the couch, a cartoon playing on the television, his mind still struggled to process the situation. Before leaving the house, his teacher had instructed him to grab some clothes and pack an extra bag, hinting that he would be staying there for an indefinite period. Ayato followed the instructions, and soon, they arrived at his apartment.

Entering his home, Ayato was unsure of what to expect. Looking around the apartment, he noticed a modern style with similar furniture scattered about—a spacious complex that could easily fit several people. Ayato would have never guessed that his teacher's salary could afford such a luxurious living space.

From his spot on the couch, he could see the open doorway leading to the kitchen, where his teacher was busy preparing dinner. Mido suggested chicken soup as a remedy for Ayato's fever and set up a show to keep him occupied while waiting. Although Ayato had long outgrown watching cartoons, he pretended to enjoy them to please his teacher.

While the animated characters danced across the screen, Ayato's mind grappled with the situation, replaying the events of the day. Somewhere deep inside, a lingering feeling of disappointment took root. He felt upset with himself, wondering why he couldn't have gone through the day without drawing attention. Moreover, he despised burdening others, especially the nurse and his teacher.

As his thoughts wandered further, the faces of his friends flashed through his mind. While he could have chosen to stay at their homes, he preferred burdening his only friends the least. He resolved to handle this on his own—his pride wouldn't allow him to backtrack on that decision.

Sighing, Ayato wondered what he should do. First thing tomorrow, he had to get a new phone. Digging his phone out of the soil took a toll on him, only to find out that the device had broken from the dirt and rain that seeped into it. He wasn't sure how he was going to afford a new one, but he figured there was a certain someone who would help him. Besides, he had to be able to access his phone's data to set out his other plan, the one that had been lingering in his mind for a while now.

The sound of footsteps stirred him from his thoughts, and Ayato looked up to find his teacher smiling at him. "Dinner's ready."

Ayato nodded and turned off the screen, trailing behind his teacher. The entire situation felt weird. Even though his teacher had his best intentions and was only looking out for him, Ayato felt inappropriate to be there. Was he even allowed to stay over at his house? Wouldn't that get him in trouble?

These feelings added to his guilt as he watched his teacher prepare their plates, gently setting them down before him. Ayato looked down at the bowl of soup before glancing at his teacher.

"You should wait for a bit. It's still hot."

"Okay," Ayato nodded. He tried to push these thoughts to the back of his head. If his teacher insisted on him being here, then that means that it must be alright. 

As Ayato tried the soup, he was surprised at the taste. It was delicious.

He eyed his teacher, who sat down, noticing the table was filled with several dishes, from rice to vegetables. He wouldn't have figured his teacher was a cook.

"You know how to cook, teacher?" Ayato asked in wonder.

His teacher laughed at the innocent tone, nodding. "Of course I do. I grew up with two siblings and parents who were always working. At some point, someone had to do the cooking around the house."

"I see," Ayato commented as he continued eating. "It's good."

"I'll take it that you enjoy it," Mido smiled. He passed some bread to Ayato, putting it on his plate. "You should eat more. You'll recover faster that way."