Chapter 11

"Kilala mo ba ang lalaking ito?" Paulit-ulit na parang sirang palaka ang boses ng officer na ito sa aking tainga.

Finally, I nodded as an agreement to his answer. I am still in dazed and dumbfounded at the same time seeing this man again in front of me in this investigation room.

I knew there was something wrong with him the moment I saw him, but I never knew it could be this worst. So he is the one who killed my best friend, right?

"I met him once at the library and asked about Grace. I should have keep an eye for him that time, if I knew this would happen."

I reached for his printed picture and crumpled it just enough for the paper to look bad. I hate his face. The first time we met, he made me feel uncomfortable.

Grace must have been so scared with this guy.

"Then you will be the one who will be called as the stalker instead of this guy." He tapped the picture two times.

"What did he ask?" the officer asked once again.

"If I am living in the same boarding house as Grace and there is something he would like to give. I volunteered to give it instead but he told me not to bother anymore and went out."

I told him about what happened and he only nodded his head.

"Officer, why are we even wasting our time here? You should catch the culprit right now!" I am reaching my peek. I think I am going to explode real soon.

"We are already investigating the guy in the other room, so better behave yourself. I have to ask you more questions in order to solve this, okay?" His deep voice somewhat tells me to shut my mouth and I felt a little bit of embarrassment.

Suddenly, the door opened and an unfamiliar uniformed officer went inside and handed the other a plastic ziplock bag.

"Thanks," the other uttered. I didn't know he knows how to be polite.

"At your service, sir. Salute!" Tumuwid ito ng tayo at sumaludo sa officer na nasa harapan ko. Sumaludo rin ito sa kaniya bago lumisan.

I wonder what is his rank that those police officers are these polite around him. He seems cranky and arrogant for me. Or is that because police officers are this serious of their job?

I heard they suspect about everything.

"Here are the belongings of the victim. Please check if there is out of the ordinary."

I heaved a sigh. He handed me the ziplock bag. I opened it and only her purse, hairclip, and identification card is in here. There is no way she didn't brought her phone with her.

Nang matigilan ako ay nagtanong yung officer sa akin.

"Her cellphone is missing. Where is it?" I doubt there is a foul play in here or they are already investigating it.

He shook his head. "We didn't found a phone." His eyes are wondering at me. He seems genuine about it that made me worry.

My heart took a leap again. "No way. She texted me this dawn and told me that she is not feeling well."

"Dawn? When is that?"

I was not yet convince if he is just acting or not but in the end I took out my phone from my backpack and opened the message I had with Grace.

"Earlier. At 2 AM," I confirmed.

"2?" He repeated.  "If that's the case then 12 hours ago will be the estimated time of death. There is no way that the victim is still alive in that moment. The puzzles are not connecting very well, Ms. Rodriguez. Can I see the message you had with her?"