Chapter 6 - First Steps

Satyo woke up suddenly, barely holding himself from screaming at the top of his lungs.

(FUCKFUCK! WHAT THE FUCK! Why... does it have to be... so fucking SCARY?!) he kept his screams of fear inside his mind, and began crying from the horror that he had just witnessed.

(Shit... where's the light? Where's the fucking light?!

He got up and frantically searched for the light orb in utter darkness, cursing himself for not having placed it beside his bed earlier.

He felt a lingering gaze on his back, as if a monster was stalking him in the dark, ready to jump on him at any moment.

That sensation got stronger and stronger with each passing second, feeling like an enormous boulder that kept getting heavier, leaving him in a constant state of nigh-collapse from the pressure.

After painfully slow seconds of crushing fear from walking in total darkness, he finally found the orb and turned the light back on in a rush.

(Now it's better, but shit. This was fucking terrifying...) he placed a hand on his heart while walking back to the bed, then sat on it and silently let his fear dissipate through tears.

He stared at the ground for minutes - his thoughts too confused to be deciphered - with the sole objective of calming himself down.

After some time had passed, he took a last deep breath, then let out a phew and got back up again.

(Alright, alright... well, now it's gonna take a while before I can go back to bed.

He thought as he began walking around in his room, just moving his body to fully come back to reality and erase that terrifying nightmare.

Ten more minutes of walking and thinking passed before he felt ready to attempt falling asleep again.

He made sure to place the light orb on a bedside table so that he could easily access it, then sat back down on his bed and, after a final breath, lay down on it.

He stretched out his hand to reach the orb, then turned the lights off and got ready to enter the dream world once again, trying hard not to think about what had happened earlier.

His mind was tampered with by horrifying thoughts, which constantly attempted to crush his frail barrier of self-control, rendering the feat of falling asleep an agonizing crawl to safety.

(Don't... it's good. Everything is- I mean, no thinking about... doesn't exist... sleep, sleep...)

He helped keep his mind clear with deep and regular breaths, temporarily resetting his memory every so often, and clearing any impurities that had gotten through his defensive walls.

Slowly...

Very slowly...

The night finally embraced him again.

---

---

---

He opened his eyes slowly, suddenly realizing that he had woken up. Unsure of his surroundings, he repeated the habitual gesture on the orb, lighting the room in an instant.