5

Arnav went back to his room and sat down by the pool looking at the still water. His mind raced in different directions but he held himself from thinking anything.

He mentally thanked Nani for asking everyone to eat first, he would have fainted if not. The day clearly took a toll on him. His wedding didn't happen. His wedding is called off and his sister's marriage is over and he was actually happy about this.

What a joke! He laughed mirthlessly at that.
Tears stung his eyes and he looked up at the cloudless sky in search of the star that he started referring to as his mother.

His own wedding being called off, surprisingly didn't hurt at all, maybe because subconsciously that's what he wanted. He only felt bad cause that would have hurt Khushi a lot, for all he cared, Khushi and him are one, in all the ways that matter. Phere or not, she is his and he is hers, but she would need a wedding again he knew.

She is so deeply rooted in traditions and culture, and after hearing Garima Amma's side of things he understood why and where she is coming from too.

He had always mentally criticized all the women in his family including his dead mother for being so old-fashioned, narrow-minded, and conservative and to be caring for societal norms more than themselves but today he realized they weren't like that by choice.

He had no right whatsoever to judge them because he had no idea what it means to be a woman. In their times, in their circumstances, and in their shoes.

He wished he could release all these women from the shackles of society and ask them to live as they wished, do whatever they wanted.

Something really flipped inside him today. His respect for Garima Aunty, his Nani and all the women in his family grew manifold. Finally landing his eyes on the star he was looking for, he blew a kiss in the air and smiled. He still didn't know the full story behind his parent's death and maybe at this point, there is no point digging things deeply either. But one thing was for sure, his father was once a good person too, he saved someone.
Though what happened later was really unfortunate, he saved Garima Amma. For the first time in many years, he wished not only his mother but his father stayed alive too.

Tears blurred his eyes as all the sweet memories of childhood in Sheesh Mahal flashed before his eyes as if it were yesterday.

"Arnavji..", he heard Khushi's calling as she opened the door and stepped into their room devoid of any light. She is still in her green and pink lehenga dressed as a bride, his bride.

"Here.", Arnav called and she came and sat beside on the ledge of the poolside looping her arm around his and putting her head on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry Khushi..", he said and she looked at him in confusion.
"What for?"
"May be if I reached early..", he started saying and he put a finger on his lips.
"It was not meant to happen today and it didn't. I am just really glad that you are okay.", she said kissing the wound on his head.

"We can plan for the ceremony..", he started saying when she cut him off.
"I ...I need some time ..", she said looking down and he knew something was definitely bothering her even though she is not saying it.

"We can do it tomorrow itself..", he said putting a finger under her chin and making her look up. "I ...No...I need some time..", she said.

"Is there something that's bothering you? Did Dadi say something...She will be escorted back to the ashram tomorrow itself."

"It's ...its not about that. I don't know how to say it exactly..but I feel like I ...", she tried but couldn't articulate it well and sighed.

"We can discuss all this later..we should sleep now.", she said and stood up.
"Where are those tablets Di got from the pharmacy? And will you have a bath? I will for sure. ", Khushi walked into the room and started removing the pins in her hair sitting in front of the mirror.