Prologue: Bastards

When Eddard Stark saw his bastard son Jon for the first time, he knew his wife Catelyn would not approve and would resent him. He knew that he would be in trouble with not only his wife but his wife's family. He already had a son with Catelyn, Robb, who was not much older than his new born bastard.

Jon's mother died soon after giving birth, which left him as the sole parent and career for his son. He could have left him there, with his mother's corpse to starve. Catelyn wouldn't ever have to know about this, no one would, except he would. He couldn't do that. Despite being a bastard, Jon was his son. He would not leave Robb to starve, nor any of his other future children. He would have to take Jon back to Winterfell, to raise him.

As Eddard walked through the empty streets back to his tent on the battlefield just outside of the main city, he looked down at his son. He wondered what Robert would say. He wondered what his son's namesake, Jon Arryn, would say. He wondered what his wife would say. Lord Stark was almost so caught up in his thoughts that he did not hear a baby crying.

Eddard automatically looked down to Jon, expecting the cries to be coming from him. However, Jon was curled up asleep in his arms. Eddard heard the cries get louder as he walked in the direction of one of the old abandoned houses. The house looked like it had been fled in a hurry by those living there, obviously left b the residents when the Stark, Baratheon, Arryn and Tully armies came into King's Landing.

As Eddard got closer to the house, he noticed through the smashed window a woman laying dead on one of the golden couches. She was naked, showing off all of her pale body. Her neck sported a large cut, he blood still pouring from her wound. He could see a golden pendant ling next to her and, even from this distance, he could see that the Targaryen sidgil was engraved into it.

Eddard moved into the house, setting Jon down on the table in the center of the room, right next to the couch. He knelt down, looking at the necklace belonging to the dead woman. A pendant this fine could only belong to a high-born Targaryen. Even though he had not been here, Ned knew what had happened here; the woman had fled the castle, came here, only to be found by one of the troops fighting against the Targaryen's and was killed.

As he inspected the woman's corpse, he heard the crying again. He knew it was not Jon. The crying came from inside one of the cupboards near the table. Ned moved quickly to the cupboard, opening the doors to find a baby girl, wrapped in a dirty cloth. He scooped the crying girl into his arms and looked at her. She looked nothing like who Ned assumed was her mother. The woman was pale, silver blonde and had violet eyes whilst the baby, though she looked newborn, had thick black hair and brown eyes. If he wasn't there when Jon was born, he would of believed they were brother and sister.

Ned looked down at the girl, almost pitying her. Her mother was dead and she had no apparent father. Just like he had felt earlier with Jon, he felt like he could not leave her. If he left the girl, she would starve but if he took her with him, announcing she was born from a Targaryen, Robert would have her killed because of her dragon blood. He could not let either of those things happen.

Eddard looked at Jon, then back to the baby girl. Ned could not let a child die when he could do something about it, so he formed a plan in his head whilst he scooped his son into his arms as well, carrying both children back to the camp.

From this point on, Eddard Stark had two bastard children, Jon and Lyanna Snow, born  during Robert's war. The rest of his family did not know the truth about Lyanna, nor did Lyanna herself. That was until he took her to King's Landing, when everything changed. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Westerosians! 

This is my new Game of Thrones fan fiction and I hope you liked it! I really like the plot of this and for the past week, I have not been able to think or write about anything else! I really love the plot and I have had so much fun writing something that is not Doctor Who fan fic (which is the only thing I've wrote for the past six months). 

So give me a vote if you liked it and give me a comment and maybe include any characters you would like Lyanna to meet.

So, until next time,

~Olivia