Chapter Forty Nine: Protection of the Realm

Tyrion Lannister always believed that the death of Robb Stark would put everyone more at ease. No more war, no more Stark's, and because of his marriage, the North was his. However, nothing was how he thought it would be. Joffrey was just as tyrannical, Cersei was ever spiteful, and Tyrion's lady wife hated him even more now, blaming him for the murder of her family.

Sansa Stark was the key to the north, and their marriage meant that Tyrion would be the Warden of the North. However, without her trust they may as well not even be married. It was bad enough Sansa still mourned for her father, her nephew and her older sister. The recent news of the deaths of Bran and Rickon, and now her mother and Robb had wrecked her, but Tyrion knew she'd be even worse if he told her the news Lord Varys was telling him now.

"Lyanna Stark, alive?" Tyrion exclaimed, so shocked and surprised he almost dropped his wine. "Lord Varys, are you telling me that my dearest sister lied about the unfortunate death of the Queen?" Tyrion began to laugh. "I knew she was jealous, but tell the kingdoms their Queen hung herself is far for even her,"

"Oh please, my Lord," Lord Varys scoffed slightly. "You really thought she'd be dead?"

"Of course not, Lyanna Snow is a survivor, the first time I saw her she hit Joffrey for acting like the little shit he is. A girl who wishes to be a soldier or take the black instead of pretty dresses and a knight for a husband can't be anything other than a survivor," Tyrion remembered Joffrey's humiliation. Three years had passed then, but he still remembered it clearly. As he thought, Tyrion couldn't help but chuckle. "So where is she? Not in Westeros, I assume? She's too smart to have gone north, to either Winterfell or the Castle Black, and she had no friends further south, either in High Garden or Dorne, though they would love her there. To Stannis, maybe? Her father died for his cause, it would make sense for her to support him,"

Varys scoffed slightly, a smug smile spreading on his face when he realised he knew something Tyrion didn't. Well, he knew a lot more than him, being the master of whispers.

"My Lord, what do you know of Ayrella Targaryen?"

"The oldest child of the Mad King, some say she was infertile, which is why Rhaegar married the Dornish princess and not his sister," Tyrion shrugged.

"And Brandon Stark?" Varys tried not to chuckle again. He enjoyed being smarter than people, especially the high lords he served.

"I may be a dwarf but I'm not simple, I see what you're implying," Tyrion reached for his wine goblet, cringing as he pictured the execution of Brandon Stark. It was horrific and violent, but wine would wash the images away. "Are you saying that Lyanna is the bastard of Brandon and not Eddard Stark, and her mother, the question the commons of Westeros used to place bets on, is a Targaryen?"

Everything became clear then. Her strong facial features, similar to those of Lord Eddard's brother. Her eyes, just a few shades darker than the violet of the Targaryen's. Her fierce nature, the perfect mix of Wolf and Dragon. Then, it became clear why Varys had brought this up.

"Does My father know this? My sister? My delightful nephew?" Tyrion asked.

"Not as yet, but they have found her," Varys made a sound that sounded like a sigh of exasperation. "It won't be long until where she is is stormed by Lannister men and she's brought back here at the mercy of your family. It is inevitable, unless..."

"Unless?"

Why shouldn't she be brought back to Kings Landing? Lyanna Stark had betrayed his family, committed crimes against the crown and the King, not to mention and was Joffrey's rightful wife. If given the option, she would have gone to Robb's army and led them to Kings Landing. Her blood also made her a better claimant to the throne that should be killed to secure the Lannister dynasty. She was a Targaryen, if King Robert knew, she'd have been dead a long time.

"Lyanna Stark is too important to be killed," Varys began to explain. "She will play a pivotal role in the wars to come, and it is important, for the good of the realm that she stays where she is for now and not return to Westeros, be it by force or by her own will.
"Your father has sent assassins after her. I have no doubt she will overcome them, but if she hears the news that her brothers are dead, she'll return and raise the north, what's left of it anyway, form an army and lead them against the crown,"

"What will you have me do?" Tyrion shrugged, though it was intimidating to think of his family being overthrown. He did quite like his head.

"My lord, I beg you, for the protection of the realm, have Sansa Stark write to her, tell her to stay where she is. I will have my little birds to get it to her personally,"

Tyrion thought for a moment, then raised his wine goblet to his lips as a toast.

"For the protection of the realm,"

***

Word count: 892

***