Chapter 1

EMMALINE LEILA WARNER

"Where are you going?" Mum asked from the kitchen as I strolled down the stairs

"School?"

"School doesn't start until 1 hour," she arched a brow and I formed my mouth into a thin line.

"Oh, yeah," I nodded, putting my hands in my jeans's pockets, "I'm heading out before first class."

"With who?" Dad asked leaning on the counter next to my mum after kissing the back of her head.

"Kai," I grinned, rocking back on my heels.

"Again?" Dad blinked, "do you not hang out with any other friends?"

"I do!" I tilted my head, "we're actually not going alone, Zade and Jett will be there."

"Zade and Jett?" He repeated with a blank expression, "these are your cousins, not friends."

"They can be both."

"That's kind of sad, honey," he shot back without missing a beat.

"I also hang out with James," I crossed my arms in defense.

"Oh, right. The 27 year old man," he nodded sarcastically, "your own father's brother, also known as your uncle."

"Okay, how many friends do you have?" I arched my brow in a challenging way.

"A considerable amount," he shrugged handing my mum a slice of the apple he was cutting.

"Uh huh, by 'considerable amount' do you mean mum, your wife, Naz, the woman who glares at you for a living, and Kenji, the one you fight with like kids?"

"Kishimoto is not my friend." He frowned and I felt my lips curve into a tiny smirk.

"That's one less friend which makes it even more pathetic."

Mum snorted before slamming her hand to her mouth, and Dad snapped his gaze to her. He looked flabbergasted.

"Emma," Mum cleared her throat, trying to make a serious expression as warning, slightly shaking her head, "that's your dad you're talking to."

"Sorry, sorry," I rolled my eyes going to hug her and then turned to my dad, doing the same, "goodbye!"

"Don't be late for class!" Mum yelled after me, and I shot her a thumbs up before heading out.

The sky was still a deep and dark blue as the sun hadn't yet risen, and the sound of birds chirping and the distant buzz of the city were all that could be heard. The air was still and fresh, carrying the sweet scent of flowers and grass. It felt peaceful and serene. From what my mum told me, life was very different before she destroyed the reestablishment, the world looked nothing like that. It looked dull, polluted, and bitter. She said birds couldn't even fly anymore. It was beyond my imagination. The silence and peace broke only by the soft hum of the motorcycle. Apparently, a fellow friend did not quite share the same thoughts.