Chapter 16

ੈ✩‧₊˚
𝔼𝕞𝕞𝕒𝕝𝕚𝕟𝕖 𝕃𝕖𝕚𝕝𝕒 𝕎𝕒𝕣𝕟𝕖𝕣
ੈ✩‧₊˚

ੈ✩‧₊˚𝔼𝕞𝕞𝕒𝕝𝕚𝕟𝕖 𝕃𝕖𝕚𝕝𝕒 𝕎𝕒𝕣𝕟𝕖𝕣ੈ✩‧₊˚

The version of Kai in my head wasn't enough. I needed the real him, but that didn't happen yet. I couldn't have that yet because he was still sleeping, with the same peaceful look on his face, the same even rate of breathing, not moving even an inch.

"Today James finally got Naz to talk, so don't worry too much about her," I said, my thumb rubbing against Kai's knuckles as I ranted about everything that happened today.

"Sometimes I think James's power is just being a therapist," Kai's voice rang in my head, and I scoffed.

"Yeah," I looked down at him, his eyes closed, his breathing even. It's been a week. A whole week. 7 days. 7 days of me slowly losing it. I haven't gone home expect the one time I went to get my clothes. At first helping myself cope started with only imagining his voice, talking to him in my mind while my face gave away nothing, but then I didn't find it enough. I started having to be in the same room with him when I imagined these conversations.

Then when day 5 passed, I started talking. I didn't even realize it, didn't know what I was doing until I noticed how the thoughts suddenly went quiet when someone would walk in. I tried to stop it, but I couldn't. It seemed unhealthy, I knew it was wrong because I didn't tell anyone about it, they'd just think I'm crazy. Instead I just started ranting to Kai about how the day went, what his parents did, the conversations I had that upset me, the ones that relaxed me, everything.

I tried to convince myself that maybe he'll hear me, he'll understand me, maybe my words, my voice, will wake him up. I looked down before my head shot up, looking in front of me, "oh! And Jett actually said she missed you. Zade has been holding it against her all day."

"Really? Damn, I can't believe I missed that."

"I know," I laughed, looking back at his hand in mine, "that deserved to be documented..."

I trailed off, my smile dropping. His voice. At first his voice was all over my head, coming from everywhere. This time, though...this time it was faint, raspy, tired. I snapped my head to the right and almost forgot how to breathe, my eyes blinking fast to comprehend what I'm seeing. He was no longer expressionless, no, he was blinking. Blinking very slowly, looking at me. He's looking at me.

Am I imagining this? Is this the next step of me slowly losing my mind? First his voice, then I started talking as if he was here, now I'm imagining him awake? But then something else happened, something I couldn't possibly be making up. My lips parted as I felt his fingers brushing against mine, moving. Holding my hand.

His brown eyes became clearer with every slow blink he took until he focused on me, "what exactly did she say?"

My eyes blurred, but I didn't care. He was awake. He woke up. He woke up, and I was here to see it. I tried to blink away the tears, rubbing my hand over my eyes to see him probably, "Kai."