Chapter 21

-ˋˏ☀︎𝕁𝕒𝕞𝕖𝕤 𝕂𝕖𝕟𝕥.ೃ࿔☀︎

"I have a feeling that this is it, James," Kai said from across the small table, eyeing the chess board, "I'm going to beat you this time, but let's see your move, I don't—"

"Check," I cut him off, moving my rook that he obviously didn't notice.

"Wha— no!" He snapped and moved his King a block to the right thinking he did something, but then I just moved my knight, trapping him.

"Check again," I yawned jokingly, smiling as he threw his head back, groaning.

"This game is ridiculous," he crossed his arms, "you're cheating!"

"How can I cheat in chess?" I scoffed just when Emma strolled in from the kitchen with a glass of juice.

"Why are you guys yelling?" She asked, sitting next to Kai on the couch, taking a sip.

"He cheated," Kai rolled his eyes, pointing at me.

"I didn't cheat, you're just a loser," I crossed my arms, "but that's okay, you're my student anyway."

"He's been trying to make the saying about the student becoming the master for ages now," Emma smiled, patting Kai's shoulder, "maybe one day you'll get there."

"Yeah, good luck with that," I scoffed and looked back when I heard Kenji's footsteps as he sat on the stool in front of the counter, opening the lid of the cookies box to eat one of the leftovers from the Christmas party.

After that party, I haven't really gone out or hung out with anybody, so I told myself I'd spend some time here then head to Adam for a few, maybe take the kids outside too if they wanted.

"I want to try," Emma said and I turned to her putting her glass down, rearranging the chess pieces, "I haven't played in a while."

"You suck at this, Ems," I smiled at her frown as she shot me a side glare.

"I'm not going to play with you," she stood up, holding my elbow and tugging on it, "get up."

"Excuse me?" I raised an eyebrow before she tugged on my arm harder, but I still didn't even sway an inch.

"You heard me, I'm going to play with Kai, so go away," she pinned me with a look, and I lowered my eyebrows.

"You wound me, Ems," I put a hand on my chest dramatically, having a sense of deja vu about this scene happening before since Emma was young.

"You'll get over it," she patted my shoulder with a smile before her expression fell blank again, "now go sit with someone at least close to your age."

"I was going to go anyway," I stood up and crossed my arms, "it's your loss. But remember this when you find yourself coming to me and saying 'oh, James, can you pretty please cook me that amazing lasagna you always make.'"