Chapter 24

ੈ✩‧₊˚
𝔼𝕞𝕞𝕒𝕝𝕚𝕟𝕖 𝕃𝕖𝕚𝕝𝕒 𝕎𝕒𝕣𝕟𝕖𝕣
ੈ✩‧₊˚

I felt my heart drop to my stomach, thudding loudly against my chest at the same time

I felt my heart drop to my stomach, thudding loudly against my chest at the same time. I was going to be sick. I tried to keep my eyes on Kai, my smile intact. I didn't want this guy to know that I saw him, I didn't know what was going on.

"Emmaline," Kai said in a soft voice, tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear as if nothing was wrong, but I could see his worried eyes scanning me, "do you have your phone?"

"No," I whispered, squeezing his hand in my lap tighter, "no, I left it inside."

"Okay," he nodded calmly, "don't worry, we can just get inside without making it seam like we noticed him, alright? Can you do that?"

"Mhm," I couldn't find my words, my hand was shaking. I don't know who that is or what he wants. I don't know if I was actually scared, but I was obviously creeped out. My mind wasn't working right now. If this guy decided to move towards us, I know I'll freeze. Yeah, I needed to leave.

"Emmaline," Kai's voice warned again, making me blink, noticing how my smile faded, "let's go."

He stood up with my hand still in his, and I glanced to my left for one second before gasping and looking back up at him. He was still there, his hands in his pockets with his head tilted towards us. It was so dark but I could make up his facial features. I knew what I was seeing, he was the guy I saw before.

"Don't look at him," Kai whispered when I stood up, "just keep your attention on me, alright?"

"Okay," I nodded, linking my fingers in his as we walked towards the backdoor. He's behind us, I could feel it. I felt goosebumps all over my neck down my arms as I walked, knowing his stare is pinned on us. Kai opened the door and tightened his grip on me until we closed it behind us before let go of his hand and turned to lock it, letting out a deep shaky breath, "tell them."

"Mum, Dad," he called after a moment, taking my wrist to pull me with him as I swallowed against the lump in my throat, seeing James on the couch next to them, "hey."

"Hey," Naz smiled then frowned when she looked between us, sitting straighter, "what's wrong?"

"Someone... Emmaline says that there's this guy she saw at the motel the night of the lake party... we saw him. Outside our backyard."

"What?" All three of them said in union, Naz and Kenji standing up while James blinked.

"I... I've never seen him before that night, but I swear he's out there. That night he heard Kai's name and kept staring at him like he knew him— I mean of course he knew him but—"

"Emmaline," Kai held my shoulders, and I gasped for air, realizing I was speaking in one breath, "easy. Breathe, we—"

"James, stay with them," Naz pointed at James before looking at Kenji, "call Warner and Ella, I'll check this out—"