Chapter 13

EMMALINE LEILA WARNER

"Okay, I have given you a two-day 'I have a boyfriend and everything is beautiful' grace period, but that is over and done with now because you need to tell me every

"Okay, I have given you a two-day 'I have a boyfriend and everything is beautiful' grace period, but that is over and done with now because you need to tell me every. Single. Detail," Jett said, linking her arm in mine once she saw me getting out of my school building.

"It's been one day," I corrected as we walked towards the benches, "and there's nothing to tell."

"What do you mean?" She snapped, "there is a lot to tell. What did he tell you when he came by our house? What happened afterwards? Did you tell your parents? How is he like?"

"He told me a lot of things and no we didn't tell our parents yet and what does the last question even mean?"

"I mean I want to know what is dating Kai like. The same person we've known since the moment we were born. The annoying arrogant nerd—"

"He's not all that!"

"He is, but that's not our point," she said as she sat on the bench, "but for real, tell me what is he like?"

"Well—" I was cut off by hands slid around to my stomach spiking my adrenaline and wretched away pulling at their wrists, my finger running over a silver ring on their thumb. Spinning around Kai's toothy grin blinded my vision and pushed against his chest involuntarily being taken by surprise, "what—"

"Hey, sunshine," he tilted his head to the side, his hands going to my waist, "missed me?"

"Hey," I sighed, my eyes darting around still not used to this happening in front of anyone to see. Yesterday was crazy. Just when I thought the most outrageous thing I would do was climb that building with Kai, which it was, this turned out to be the most normal thing to have happened last night.

I can give you way more than nice, do you want that?

I didn't know what happened, I wasn't even aware of my tongue pronouncing the word 'yes' when he asked that until I felt myself kissing him back. When we were just friends, I'd be lying if I said I didn't wonder how Kai would be like with a girl, how he'd be like with me. But the thought of actually witnessing it, feeling it, was unreal. Him touching me like he did yesterday, like he's doing now, in front of anyone to see was something I don't think I'll be getting used to anytime soon.

"Yeah, no," Jett's voice snapped me out of my daydream, looking back at her to see her giving us a disgusted expression, her eyes darting between our faces and Kai's hands still on my waist, "I don't want to know. I changed my mind."

"You're just jealous," Kai said, and I felt his arms curl around me more, "don't worry, even though it's unlikely to happen, someone out there may actually find you... interesting."

"You don't even know what we were talking about," Jett said in a flat voice even when her eyes shoot daggers at him.

"Me," he shrugged, "what more interesting subject could anyone talk about in this family?"