Chapter 15

EMMALINE LEILA WARNER

"Hey, dad," I said when I saw dad in the kitchen, opening the fridge to grab a bottle of water

"Hey, sweetheart," he smiled, "you've been in your room all day since you came back from school."

"Homework," I shrugged, taking a seat on the stool in front of the counter. He nodded, but his expression shifted to question as he looked at me, "what?"

"Are you sure you want Kai to be your boyfriend?" He tilted his head and I rolled my eyes.

"Yes, dad," I groaned, "you asked me this like a hundred times already."

"I mean a Kishimoto?" He sighed, "seriously? What do you even like about him? I've known him since he was born, and I have to tell you, he's not really worth it."

"Dad!" I snapped, "stop that. You know he's worth it, plus, what did he ever do to you? He's always been great and nice to me—"

"I don't like this sentence," he said flatly with a slight shake of his head.

"He's not just nice!" I fired back, "he actually told me I deserved more than just nice," I smiled to myself then looked up at him frowning to himself, then a deep line between his eyebrows appeared, making me scoff, "what? It's not that bad."

"Ella?" Dad asked, ignoring me and looking at the staircase behind me as I followed his gaze to mum coming down, holding her phone to her ear, "are you okay, love?"

He rounded the counter and mum looked up at him, slowly lowering the phone, "Aaron..."

"What is it, love? What's wrong?" He grabbed her shoulders, and I felt my hear start to go faster. What's happening?

"The academy..." she whispered, shaking her head before looking back at him, "it's... someone..."

"Calm down, sweetheart," his hand went to the side of her face, "what is it?"

"Someone bombed the academy."

What did she just say? The academy? the academy that I go to almost everyday? The academy that— Kai. Kai is there.

"Kai," I whispered, hopping off of the stool, "Kai was there. Where is he?"

"Kenji called him," Mum said, "he said he's supposed to be safe right now."

"Supposed to?" I couldn't breathe, "what do you mean? Is he okay? Did he call him back?"

"I... I don't know," she let out softly.

"Where are you going?" Dad asked when I headed to the front door.

"I'm going to him," I grabbed my shoes. I was already in a t shirt and sweatpants, "I have to make sure he's okay."