CH-06

The Secrets Between Us -06

-Third Person Pov-

-

-

-

-

-

As the anticipation for seat partners loomed, you found yourself in the midst of your friends, discussing potential pairings. Since Haerin, your younger sister, was in a separate bus, you had already arranged for Danielle to keep an eye on her during the journey.

Fortunately, Dani readily accepted the responsibility without the need for you to explicitly ask.

The atmosphere was charged with a mix of excitement and restlessness as everyone gathered near the bus. Mr. Kim, the teacher known for his strictness, approached to impose order on the seemingly chaotic process of selecting seat partners.

"Since you guys are arguing and didn't bother deciding on your seat partners, I've decided to randomly choose them, and none can say no to this!" Mr. Kim declared, casting an air of authority that silenced any potential objections.

Groans and sighs filled the air as names were called, and students paired off before making their way onto the bus.

Amidst the speculation and hopes for favorable partnerships, you quietly wished for a seatmate who might be inclined to share some quietness during the 2-hour-and-30-minute journey.

"I just hope Sullyoon is my partner since she always manages to fall asleep wherever she is," you casually expressed, eliciting laughter from your friends.

"Hmhm. Me too, since you're quiet, I can sleep in peace!" Sullyoon added with a playful smile.

Observing other unexpected pairings like Jungwon with his chosen partner and Jini with Bae, you sighed, preparing for the impending randomness of the selection.

"God, please let Sullyoon be my partner," you silently pleaded as Mr. Kim prepared to call out the next pair.

"Seol Yoona..." Mr. Kim announced, and your heart raced with anticipation.

"God, please let it be me. Please, let it be me," you thought, eagerly awaiting the revelation.

"....Kim Minji! You both are seat partners!" Mr. Kim declared, and your heart sank a bit as you realized Sullyoon wasn't your designated companion.

A tiny groan escaped Sullyoon, echoing your own disappointment.

"Bye, Sully..." you sighed as she boarded the bus with her backpack, exchanging a nod that conveyed both understanding and a hint of disappointment.

On the other hand, the dynamics of Minji and Hanni's partnership played out with a unique flavor.

"Sorry, Pham bro, we're not partnered. But I'm happy that my seat partner isn't loud and weird. Whatever, bye bro," Minji casually remarked, earning another groan from Hanni.

"Stop sulking like a child. We're in the same bus, and the main thing is we have side seats. Why aren't you happy with that?" Minji rolled her eyes, but Hanni persisted in her grumpy state.

"Whatever, bye bro. Hope you find an abnormal partner like you!" Minji teased, swiftly retreating before Hanni could conjure a more serious retort.

As the anticipation heightened and names were being called for seat pairings, you never expected yours to be called.

"Kang Y/n and Pham Hanni, you both are also seatmates in the bus!" Mr. Kim announced, and disbelief washed over you.

Hanni, the one person you wanted to keep some distance from, was now your seatmate.

Memories flashed back to the day you overheard her talking about lying on the rooftop with her boyfriend. Despite the agreement to keep it a secret between the two of you, being close to her sparked an inexplicable sense of anxiety.

For the next 2 hours and 30 minutes, you'd be sharing the same seat.

You let out a sigh, watching as Hanni had already boarded the bus. Her reaction remained unknown to you.

Grabbing your backpack, you made your way onto the bus. Your friends waved at you, and you reciprocated the gesture as you walked further down the aisle.

Eventually, you found Hanni lost in thought, looking out the window.

"Can I sit?" you asked calmly, avoiding direct eye contact but making an effort not to be unfriendly.

"Ye-ah, of-course!" Hanni nervously replied, stuttering slightly.

You nodded and took your seat beside her.

The proximity was closer than you had anticipated, and the sweet fragrance of her perfume lingered in the air.

Both you and Hanni seemed to share a palpable nervousness.

As the partner-calling session concluded, everyone settled into the bus.

Mr. Kim entered, a familiar routine unfolding as he shared advice and trip rules. The atmosphere was lively, filled with the chatter and laughter of students, but Hanni and you remained notably quiet.

"Students, another piece of good news for you: your seat partner on the bus will also be your seat partner on the plane!" Mr. Kim announced, and your eyes widened in surprise.

What? That meant you would be stuck with Hanni not only on the bus but also throughout the plane journey.

Mentally sighing, you looked at Hanni, finding her gaze mirroring your own wide-eyed astonishment.

"Seems like we're stuck together the whole day!" she remarked, breaking the silence.

Why did fate consistently bring you and Hanni together?

What was the underlying connection between the two of you?

These thoughts swirled in your mind as the realization sank in that you would be sharing not only the bus but also the plane with Hanni throughout the trip.

( To Be Continued )