Chapter Six

Today goes a bit well and I follow my routine to the core. I try to avoid Grayson, I can't stand him being close to me anymore. I can't even look at him for a few seconds without shaking. I want to look at him all day.

His intense eyes. I love those eyes, they can bore deep into anyone's soul. I can feel his presence around once he stares at me with those eyes.

They are tormenting. And I'll never forget his smell. I want to bask in all of it. I know he's a person but the attraction, the pull is too much. It's almost clouding my vision. This is what I guess happens when love clouds your senses.

When I return home, Darren is reading a book. It's a rare sight but it's appealing to know that my brother reads. Perhaps, exams are fast approaching.

"I'm sorry I couldn't pick you from school today" he sighs once he sees me.

"It's fine. I came home with the school bus. Is Anita around?"

"No," he replied almost immediately and I notice that something is wrong with him. "Quit looking at me like that I'm not going to tell you."

"I didn't ask" I tell him nonchalantly pretending not to care.

Darren and I have been surviving like this anytime mom and dad aren't around and I hate when we are alone. The house feels so empty even when we are watching television or when he throws a party.

I'm still concerned about Darren, I think he got into a fight with Anita. That's one of the things that can make his mood sour. He has sighed about a million times since we started watching television.

Something that he insisted should be on because the house is quiet.

"It's Anita isn't it?" I ask when he sighs a third time. I look at him and see worry etched on his face. He just sighs again like he doesn't want to talk about it but I'm curious and bored.

I brought a paper here to write a new inspiration for my new book but nothing is coming since the TV is on and I don't want to go upstairs, it's too quiet there. It's my ideal place but it's still creepy amd scary.

I'm a bit afraid of the dark even right now. That's why I picked up my sketch book and began to draw the first thing that came to mind.

Grayson's eyes.

I know it's creepy but I can't help myself.

"Did you two fight?" Darren moves on the chair and groans.

"I told you that I don't want to talk about it. I know what you'd exactly say if I tell you. You'd support her and advise me to break up with her because of our parent's rules."

I scoff. "That's so not what I was going to say. I know you love Anita." Darren goes silent and I look towards him to find him standing over me, looking into my paper.

"What on earth are you drawing, Whitney?" He peers at the paper but I cover it with my hands. I don't want him to know about Grayson yet.

Or ever. I'll surely get over my attraction to the boy. It's just the start of senior year besides, I have to plan my life and grades and the school that I'm going to go to when we graduate.

"Can I see?" Darren persists but I don't let him see it. How does it sound when you tell a person that you are drawing a classmate's eyes? It sounds creepy.

"You always let me see your drawings Whit, even when we were little and you were so not perfect" he complains. Darren can be so persistent. Sometimes, he hates taking no for an answer.

"Not this time, Darren. This is personal" I tell him honestly. This is between I and the paper and Grayson's eyes.

"I can't believe you're keeping secrets from me." Not again. I don't want to argue with him right now. I don't even want to fight him.