#6. Canary

Whenever summer came, Herhardt's mansion always hosted a bunch of meetings. But Claudine von Brandt had another reason to visit Arvis this year, as everybody knew.

Before revealing the engagement to the public, a meeting was planned for the two families to pre-negotiate and foster friendship between them.

The meeting's intent was obvious to both families, and neither party, particularly Claudine, had tried to conceal it.

"Hello, Duke Herhardt."

Matthias was received politely by Claudine. His cousin in front of him had matured into a refined lady, and he couldn't make out the outlines of that short, whiny girl from her anymore.

"Welcome, Lady Brandt."

He returned Claudine's formal greeting, and the two exchanged graceful smiles

Between the two, there was nothing new to speak about. They were not very close or intimate, but they had known each other for a long time.

They both knew, how aristocratic Matthias von Herhardt and Claudine von Brandt were to the marrow. This was the most important and apparent reason why they chose each other.

Matthias escorted Claudine expertly. His mother, Elysse von Herhardt, instructed the servants to prepare their afternoon tea in the glass greenhouse attached to the mansion's rear. Elysse adored the greenhouse, so in a way, it was also a form of expressing her affection for Claudine.

"Every time I visit this greenhouse, it never ceases to amaze me. It's as if Duchess Elysse has migrated heaven into this place."

Claudine sipped her tea quietly and gratefully complimented her. She talked in a pleasant yet excellent manner, as one might expect from a noblewoman.

"I've put a lot of effort into decorating this place. I'm looking forward to give it to a hostess who understands its worth."

In hushed voices, Elysse spoke up. When Countess Brandt heard of it, she gave her daughter a proud and emotional glance, but Claudine just smiled shyly.

 When Countess Brandt heard of it, she gave her daughter a proud and emotional glance, but Claudine just smiled shyly