#90. Lovers

Upon their entrance, every customer and employer were left confused by the new arrivals. Even the boutique's owner took a while to recover before she went up to them with a bright smile.

"Welcome!" she greeted jovially, giving them both a once over.

The man looked wealthy. He was tall and handsome, and had a regal air around him as he escorted the petite woman inside, who looked around the store nervously. She had a tailcoat on, which he assumed to be from her companion's.

The man then went up behind her to remove the coat. As soon as the coat came off, the owner's eyes widened, before he narrowed his eyes on the two of them.

She was beautiful, the owner would admit, but she had such ghastly clothes on her! Not appropriate when she's with such a classy man. But judging by the way the man was looking at her, she would wager a guess that they didn't have a master-and-maid relationship between them.

'A mistress would be most likely.' She thought to herself as she gave them a welcoming smile. She politely conversed with them, sending a smile towards the skittish woman as she continued to assess them.

She knew many noblemen took on mistresses, but for this man to bring her in here, of all places. Wasn't that just asking for trouble on his part?

She noticed how the woman would scoot away from him, even going as far as shrugging off his touch from her. They must have been at odds with each other for a while now.

It was a scene she'd seen many times. Being a boutique that boasted many things of luxury, it wasn't uncommon for quarreling lovers to bring their women here to buy them something. It was her job to gauge out her customers in what they could potentially like, and convince the man into buying them for her.

But these two were different, she could tell.

She didn't even look like she'd like anything in store. She looked around as though she wished she were anywhere else but in her store. She might even be a little bit afraid of her companion. But why would she be afraid?

She'd seen many women who would have given anything to be in a position like her. They would even be willing to sleep with men twice their age just to enjoy luxuries in life.

But it wasn't her place to pry, even if she'd been itching to ask them a million questions. For now, she will just have to wait for them to pick out what they want, and then help them make a purchase.

Another thing that surprised her from watching them was how incredibly stubborn the woman was! She looked soft, and a pushover, but she was acting very headstrong with the man. Her companion, instead, was the one who kept compromising, giving her suggestions here and there on what would look good on her.

The owner loved meeting people who would obviously bring sales into her business like this man, but the woman's attitude was a little bit off-putting. Perhaps she should help them make a decision.

Did she want something more expensive? She just has the thing for them!

She made quick work around her store, choosing clothes just around the woman's size with an expert eye, and picking out some of their most beautiful products that would complement her greatly.

She hoped this would be enough for her. She didn't know what was wrong between them, but she was certain about one thing.

The man with her was absolutely taken with her. Surely she couldn't be so blind to see the way he looked at her?

And that made her confident the man would buy her just about anything, no matter the price!

With several items on hand, she approached them once more, politely asking them to try the items out and to not hesitate in asking her for more.