#169. Side Story 17

The announcement of the Duchess of Herhardt's pregnancy swiftly circulated amongst the upper echelons of Carlsbar and Ratz. While it's not unusual for a vibrant and fertile couple to expand their brood, the tantalizing tidbit that the expectant Duchess is currently enrolled in college set tongues wagging with fervor.

"A child born of such brilliance is sure to be exceptional,"

Elysee von Herhardt shared her viewpoint, and Norma had a similar attitude. No matter what they thought, Matthias had already decided, so there was no point in arguing with him about it. His ability to create a happy union despite the apparent drawbacks of his previous marriage was actually a credit to his tenacity.

"If you do choose to proceed, give it your all," During their recent phone call, Elysee mentioned something unexpected before they hung up. "This means that as a member of the esteemed Herhardt family, you must not allow anyone to disregard you. Is that clear?"

Leyla could now distinguish the intricacies in her mother-in-tone law's despite her low voice. She saw that when it was conveying sincere feelings, it grew kinder and more deliberate.

"Yes, mother!" Leyla exclaimed with unbridled enthusiasm, unaware of the fervor in her voice. "I will give it my all. I promise to do my very best."

Elysee sighed with a hint of concern, wondering if Leyla's exuberance was too unladylike, but she refrained from voicing any complaints. Leyla was determined to keep her promise to her family, and she would try her hardest to do so. However, there are certain things in life that even an unwavering will cannot conquer, and morning sickness was undoubtedly one of them.

As the morning sickness resurfaced, Leyla found herself succumbing to exhaustion and sought refuge on the couch, covering herself with a throw blanket. Soon, she drifted off into a deep slumber. When she eventually stirred from her sleep, she noticed the fading sunlight filtering through the curtains and the comforting presence of Matthias by her side. A radiant smile illuminated her pallid features as she realized she was cradled in his embrace.

"Have you had anything to eat?" Matthias asked Leyla, as their eyes locked. He had asked the question with the regularity of a routine greeting ever since the beginning of her morning sickness.

"I managed to eat a bit today." she replied, gently touching her stomach.

Matthias lifted his gaze and glanced the basket of peaches on the table. "Another peach?" he queried, noting that their bedroom had been perfumed with the sweet aroma of the fruit ever since Leyla became pregnant.

Leyla had announced her pregnancy during a late dinner they shared one night, her eyes sparkling with uncontainable excitement and anticipation, as if she were divulging a secret surprise. Matthias had to be cautious in concealing the fact that he already knew, putting forth a concerted effort to keep his composure.

As Matthias observed Leyla attempting to suppress what she wanted to divulge that morning, an inkling of apprehension stirred within him. By the evening, his intuition had been confirmed during a phone conversation with his physician, Dr. Feller.

"I believe my wife may be pregnant,"

Matthias disclosed over the phone. He requested an appointment with his physician, and as he relayed his suspicion, the doctor remained silent for a prolonged moment.

"Did you already have an inkling, Your Grace?" the doctor inquired, his voice betraying a sense of indescribable awkwardness. "The Duchess wishes to inform you of the news in person, so please maintain discretion..."

"Understood," Matthias replied to the doctor, his voice calm but tinged with embarrassment. "I'll feign ignorance."

It wasn't difficult to comprehend Leyla's desire for secrecy, and so Matthias took it upon himself to safeguard the information.