#10. Do You Think I'm Begging You?

"Where's Mr. Remmer?"

The duke asked Leyla.

"Uncle is going downtown. Is there something that matters?"

Leyla was quick to answer after cleaning the biscuit crumbs from her lips.

With a brief nod, Duke Herhardt turned his gaze towards Kyle.

As he looked Kyle in the eyes, his lips curved into a courteous smile. Kyle soon relaxed, letting go of the tension in his shoulders.

After expressing his appreciation and regards to Kyle's father for taking such good care of his grandmother's health, the duke looked back again at Leyla, "Miss. Lewellin, you can bring the roses in on behalf of Mr. Bill, right?"

He spoke softly. The smile on his lips disappeared.

"Roses? Do you mean the roses in the garden?"

"Just cut a few roses moderately and bring them to my annex."

The duke turned away with a slight nod without even giving Leyla a chance to answer.

Leyla frowned helplessly as she checked her blouse and skirt, all of which were littered with biscuit crumbs.

Although she could clean off the dirt on it, Leyla couldn't get the shame out of her mind. Only Kyle giggled, watching Leyla rubbing her lips over and over.

"Stop it. There aren't any crumbs left on your clothes anymore."

"Why did he suddenly appear just like that?"

"Why are you so embarrassed? Do you think the duke has never eaten a snack in his life?"

"But..." Leyla unwittingly rubbed her mouth again.

"Why do you care so much when you always eat messily in front of me?"

"You're my friend."

"And Duke Herhardt is a stranger. So you don't need to care about him more than your friend."

"That's true but.... I don't know. I just felt uncomfortable." Leyla wrinkled her brows.

"Why? Did something happen?"

"No, that's not it, but... Every time I get close to him it feels very uncomfortable and suffocating. I really don't like it."

"Then, how do you feel about me? I'm comfortable and nice right?"

His voice tinged with anticipation.

Leyla grinned and tucked her hat onto her head. "Of course, Sir Etman."

Kyle's face brightened after he received a satisfactory answer.

"As expected. I knew it. Ah, should I help you with your errand?"

"No, it's not a big deal. You should go home now."

"I'll wait here, then."

"I'm fine, your father will be very upset if he finds out you were hanging out here again. I don't want to get scolded alongside you. You should focus on your studies."

Kyle squirmed hearing Leyla's logical argument. He wished he could refute, but he couldn't. He then took a careful look in the direction where the Duke had disappeared.

'I'm probably being too sensitive these days.'

Duke Herhardt was the only one there. The flawless aristocrat who would make his engagement announcement to the public.

'But.....'

"Leyla!"

Kyle called, trying to stop her. Somehow, he was a little worried about Duke Herhardt and Leyla being alone together.