#22. Into The Blanket of Light

Matthias had made a wrong decision by turning around.

He was planning to stay in the annex before dinner time to finish his pile of work. In hindsight, nothing had changed in his plan. At least until he left the annex.

Matters were thrown into disarray after he twisted his body to look behind and found himself standing on the road leading to the gardener's cottage.

Matthias halted, pausing in his footsteps with a pensive look on his face.

The days had marched on as they should. Everything went off without a hitch and in an orderly fashion.

Her tears on that night had also been washed away and cleaned off all traces of his foreign feeling.

Matthias expanded his stride and strolled through the shady forest path. He tugged at his tie and loosened it, then pushed open a few buttons on his tight-fitting shirt. His gestures were a bit rougher, and he wasn't as calm as he always was.

It was sickening.

He loathed these emotions that were out of his track.

It was aggravating for him to be plagued with feelings he couldn't curb.

Mathias wanted everything in his world to be in its place. So did his own feelings. That's the reason why he had never been enamored of a creature called a woman.

In his orbit, the lust for sex was simply an instinct. He had never dwelled on it or been swayed by it.

Rather, it was cumbersome-nothing more than a need to be adequately satisfied and dried away. Such desires, to begin with, didn't rule the roost in his mind.

That's how the annoyance and discomfort he felt because of Leyla grew and wreaked havoc on his stable world.

Only she now could be in his world.

His whole five senses were fixed on her and blinding passion welled up deep inside him uncontrollably. There were oftentimes when his gluttonous desire and lustful thoughts to possess her became too much for him to handle.

Matthias was displeased as he learned he was obsessed with such trivial things. He couldn't even put it on his list of priorities.

Leyla Lewellin was a good-for-nothing who belonged to that league.

Still, he needed to make sure.

The long line of the forest trees gradually petered out as the cottage building grew closer.

Pondering, Matthias walked into the blanket of light. The jolly beam of summer sunlight was drifting down, permeating his eyes through the slats of twigs.

*.·:·.✧.·:·.*

Leyla had found a baby bird sprawled on the ground.

She was traveling home after sending Kyle off when she suddenly heard the sound of a helpless squeal.

Leyla spotted a fallen baby bird under a tree in the backyard. A tiny, fragile nestling that had just recently had it's feathers begin to grow.

"Oh, did you fall?"

Leyla wrapped the baby bird with a careful touch and raised her eyes, looking up at the tree.

Precisely as she had thought, there was a bird's nest sited in one of the tree's limbs. The tree loomed quite high, but thankfully, the baby bird wasn't severely injured.

"It's okay. I'll take you home."

Leyla petted the baby bird gently and tucked it into her apron's pocket. She hurried back to the cottage to take the ladder stashing in the warehouse.