#16. Something That Is Nothing

Arvis's forest was soon becoming dark after its sun began to sink.Matthias was staring at Leyla, who looked at the dead bird with blurry eyes. There was a period of silence between them. He was still patiently waiting, because he believed Leyla wouldn't be able to run away for a while.

"Just......"

Leyla lifted her head. Her pupils were brimming with anger that even the dark couldn't mask. Her eyes were arrogant and brazen but Matthias thought that was far better than her avoiding his gaze.

"Just tell me. What did I do wrong?"

"Wrong?"

"Yes. What wrongdoing have I committed against you..... why should I be punished like this?"

"I never punished you," Matthias laughed. "I did my job, and you, Leyla, did yours."

After a brief moment of wondering, Matthias looked at Leyla again with a subdued glance.

"Wrongdoing...Huh?....Why do you like birds so much?"

He repeated the same question.

Leyla looked up to the sky, towards the dead bird, and then back to Matthias. Her shoulders trembled, but her eyes staring at him remained wide open.

It irritated Matthias but at the same time amusing as well.

"They're always by my side,"

Leyla answered aloud to his question. There was a wave of slight anger in her voice, but it didn't sound rude or offensive.

"Ever since I was a child, I've been traveling around a lot of different places, but the birds were always there wherever I went. They were always in my vicinity. As the seasons changed, some of the birds who had gone away would still return as I waited for them. The birds always came back to me."

Leyla's voice became softer as she spoke. Perhaps, the tenderness had been caused by her smooth articulation.

"The birds are there in every season. I can find them in every place. I love living around these lovely and free creatures."

"Really?"

"Yes. But it might be meaningless to you, duke."

Pfftt....

Matthias giggled low, looking at Leyla, who blustered with a teary-eyed expression and rose to his feet. It seemed the time of the dinner party had approached before he realized it.

"Are you going to hunt like this again?" Leyla stopped him when he was preparing to leave.

"If it's necessary," Matthias answered without skipping a second.

He was pleased. Leyla's eyes, which were filled with despair, fear, and frustration after that, really satisfied him.

After briefly altering his mind, Matthias stood in front of her.

"Leyla, everything in my life has to be in its place. Where there's no need for someone to run or hide."

"What do you mean?"

"Simply stay in your place."

"Place...? I.... I don't understand what you mean by that."

"Think it through thoroughly."

"Duke."

"Who knows? I might consider a 'friendly' hunting session if you find the answer."

Matthias walked away leaving behind a dazed Leyla.

He didn't want to hold high hopes towards her. But, he wanted Leyla Lewellin to stay in her place.

As an orphan living in the forest.