03

After school came sooner than later, and it was time for Carlos to have his one on one practice session with Ben. He wasn't sure how to feel about it, he wasn't sure if he was cut out for tourney, or any sport really...

"Okay Carlos, we're going to start by doing some sprints. In tourney, you have to be fast. You don't have to worry about getting hit if you can outrun them. Ready?" Carlos finished stretching as Ben went over what they were going to do. He mirrored Ben and got into the starting position, running he could do, it was something you had to be good at if you wanted to survive on the Isle.

Ben blew his whistle and they started running back n forth to one end of the field and back. It was easy, until Carlos heard a very distant sound catching up to him. Maybe it was all the running, but Carlos was almost sure that what he heard was a dog barking.

As it got closer, he was sure of what it was, and that freaked him the fuck out.

Being scared of dogs sounded silly, but if you were 'raised' by the Cruella De Vil, it made a lot of sense. Carlos did not hesitate to run away from the sound, he didn't even stop to look at what the dog even looked like, he just wanted to save himself.

Cruella, being the amazing mother she was, took advantage of the fact that they couldn't have pets on the Isle to scare the living crap out of her son- she told him that all dogs were evil, and that they could eat you alive if you let your guard down around them. If a dog seems sweet and innocent, run. If a dog barks, run. If it involved dogs, run! She would bark at him, literally barked at a newborn baby Carlos, just to ingrain that fear in him-after all, he was never going to actually get to see a dog while on the Isle, why not lie to the child?

Ben stopped running when he realized Carlos wasn't running with him anymore, instead he was running away from him. He was impressed by how fast he was, and then he heard a scream. He ran in the direction Carlos went, "Carlos! Carlos, stop!" he yelled after him, which didn't help.

When Ben was finally able to catch up to him, it was because Carlos ran into the forest and began climbing up a tree. Under that tree was a tiny dog, a dog that Ben recognized.

"Ben, help me! This fucking thing is a fucking killer, it's going to rip out my throat and then it's gonna go after you! Fuck!" Ben looked up at Carlos, then back down at the dog. He bent down and whistled to get its attention, the dog turned and ran to him, its tail wagging as it also knew Ben.

"Carlos, this is Dude. Dude, meet Carlos. Dude is the campus mutt." He picked up the dog, and Dude instantly buried his face against Bens chest. Carlos' eyes widened in shock, he couldn't believe Ben willing picked up a monster and was being cute with it.

"That is a vicious, rabid pack animal, and I will not become puppy chow because some cute prince wanted to play knight in shining armor!" Carlos yelled, nearly loosing his grip as he tried to go further up. Ben ignored everything because now, he was a cute prince! First pretty, and now cute, if he had long hair he would be twirling it right about now. He wasn't sure what that meant or said about him, but it didn't matter right now, he had to help Carlos!

"Hey, that's not true at all, I need you to know that. Who told you that?" He asked, and Carlos just looked at him like Ben was the crazy one. "Oh, Cruella, of course. You've never actually met a dog, have you? Come down, and if Dude tries anything, I will pay you back. Just trust me."

Carlos looked at Dude, then at Ben, who was still standing with all his limbs still attached. The dog hasn't done anything, and it wasn't barking anymore, so it was safe to come down, or so he hoped. Carlos began to climb back down, he hesitated before letting his feet touch the ground.