10

Monday, October 5th, 2015, the day a boy became a man.

More importantly, it was Ben and Bella's sixteenth birthday! Every year since they turned thirteen, a card would be slipped under their doors with a message from their parents congratulating them on their journey to becoming adults. It was the same note every year just with their new age added in, it's the thought that counts.

The twins walked down to the dining room still in their pajamas, it was too early for them to be dressed for the day and after yesterday's events, both of them wanted to just be normal for a little while longer. They entered the dining room and were hit by the smell of breakfast food; it smelled delicious and knowing Mrs. Potts, it was as delicious as it smelled.

Ben had in front of him; birthday waffles, blueberry danishes, a yogurt parfait, and a London fog. Bella had; birthday pancakes, oatmeal, a bowl of grapes, and some coffee. The table also had scrambled eggs, bacon, cinnamon rolls, and a lot of pastries. Was it nutritious? No, but it was their birthday so they had a pass.

"There they are! My babies," Belle entered the dining room and went straight to her children. She pulled them into a hug, kissing their foreheads and cheeks
repeatedly. "I can't believe you're sixteen already, so big and beautiful, soon enough you'll be adults starting your own families and having little ones running around."  Ben found that amusing seeing as he and Bella were both gay which made the possibility of either one producing children unlikely, but there was always adoption- and magic, Auradon was full of it.

"Oh Belle, they're not babies anymore they don't want their mother to treat them as such." Adam had finally entered the room, and hearing him say that made Bella hug her mom tighter. "Oh hush, they will always be my babies, and they'll always need their mother. Happy birthday my Ben," She kissed his cheek once more before letting him sit down. "Happy birthday my sweet Bella." She kissed her cheek as she had with Ben and let her sit down.

"Yes, happy birthday to you both." Adam approached the table with two wrapped gifts in his hands, he handed Ben the smaller box and Bella the medium-sized one. Ben unwrapped his first, it was a pocket watch. "It belonged to my father and his father before him, I think it's time for me to pass it down to you. I only hope I'm there when you get to pass it down to your son." Ben admired it, it had the family crest and definitely had that passed 'down from generation to generation' look.

"Thank you, Dad, it's awesome." Adam chuckled at his son's reaction, it reminded him of when his father gave it to him at the age of six, except he had gone with 'so rad.'

The attention shifted over to Bella who was now unwrapping her present. It was a book, not a bad present for someone who loves to read, except that this was a book she would never pick if given the choice.

"'On Being A Proper Princess' Um... thanks?"  She wasn't expecting some family heirloom but a book about being a proper princess? Message delivered loud and clear.

"Today is not just a big day for your brother, but you as well. You're sixteen, a lady! In light of recent events, I think the book is very important right now, especially with your coming out party."

Bella felt her heart drop, she never thought she'd hear the words 'coming out' in a conversation with her parents. Had she done something to out herself? Did someone figure her out and tell her parents? Had her biggest fear come true? No of course not, they wouldn't throw her a party for something like that... 

"A coming out party?" Ben asked, he didn't want the silence from Bella to make their parents start asking questions. "Yes, a debutante ball, it will mark Bella officially joining society as a lady. Manners and etiquette are a key focus, which is why the book is a perfect gift. We will have the ball in about six months, you won't be the only princess either."