12

"Mal, please, over here! Mal!"

In retrospect, Mal should've known better than to go on a walk all by herself. Ever since she and Ben agreed to continue 'dating', she was constantly bombarded by cameras and reporters who always asked the same questions. All the clicking and the shouting gave her such bad headaches she had to hold herself back from throwing any and all spells at them.

"Only three days to the Royal Cotillion, did you ever think a girl like you would Lady of the Court?"

"How does being the most envied girl in Auradon feel?"

"Is your mother still a lizard?"

She only really had an answer for the last question, yes her mother was still a lizard, no they don't have to worry about her coming back anytime soon.

"Why haven't you taken responsibility for your mother's presence at the coronation? It was your doing, I was there!"

The other reporters looked at who had asked the question, it was a female reporter who looked younger than the rest by ten years at least. She pushed up her small bright red square glasses and waited for Mal to answer her question, she didn't seem bothered by her fellow reporters gawking at her.

Mal tried not to show it but the question pissed her off, why would she take responsibility for that? She never let her mother out of the Isle, that was Jane but of course, they weren't going to ask her to take accountability for her actions. She was ready to throw the spell book at them.

"Okay, all right, excuse me, that's enough." Ben, who had managed to arrive back to school just in time, made his way through the crowd of reporters to Mal.

"Did you ever think you'd be with a villain kid?"

"King Ben, what do you have to say about the rumor that you are or were under a love spell?" It was the red-framed glasses reporter again. Ben stepped towards her, he was smiling but there was a menacing feel in the air as he did. The other reporters felt it too as they all stepped back giving him space.

"Ms. Deer, I strongly suggest you take off now if you know what's good for you."

She looked at him as if trying to challenge him but he was towering over her, she stepped back after a moment but her smile didn't falter.

"Alright, I know when I'm not wanted, do say hi to Bella for me." She closed her notepad and tucked her pen behind her ear before turning around and walking away from him. Ben turned to look at the rest of them as if to dare them to ask any more questions.

"This is still a school, so if you're here you're either skipping or trespassing." Fairy Godmother to the rescue! She began to shoo them away, and away they went without a fight. Fairy Godmother was all smiles and manners but Mal wasn't sure if people were scared of her or just really respected her.

"Thank you, and thank you." Mal thanked both of them once all the reporters were gone, she was confident she would've broken a few cameras if they hadn't stepped in. Fairy Godmother reminded them they had one class left after lunch and headed back into the school.

"Don't pay attention to them, they're just a bunch of little leeches who love to suck the life out of people."

"Well that's easier said than done, isn't it?" She snapped, some of her annoyance was still lingering over her. "I know you're still very new to this, and I'm sorry. You know the offer still stands, you can back out at any time, and we won't stop you." Ben was referring to their fake dating ordeal, and he was telling the truth, he wouldn't hold it against her if she did want to back out.