09

Family Day had arrived!

Families gathered around to greet each other, take pictures, and talk about their children. The weather was perfect, it was as if summer had decided to extend its stay despite it being October.

Ben and Bella made their way through the garden to greet their friends and their families as they waited for their parents to show. Ben was wearing his classic blue suit, charming as ever. Bella wore a light yellow spaghetti strap dress that reached right above her knees, it had small red roses on it which she knew her mom would love. Her hair was done in sectioned pigtails that she did on her own, she felt so pretty.

"Are you sure about this?" Asked Bella as they waited for their parents at the garden entrance to the stone benches, a frequent location for their mom's book club.

"No, but I'm sure they've heard about the incident so I have to." They were discussing Ben's plan of introducing Mal to their parents; the girl he was taking to his coronation as his date; the girl everyone thought he was in love with. It was a disaster waiting to happen.

"Look, I support you in anything you do but doesn't it seem mean to introduce her to our parents when you're going to dump her come Tuesday? If she likes you then you're just giving her the wrong impression. I get needing a beard, but shouldn't she be in the know?" Bella was trying to whisper but Ben kept fidgeting with his cufflinks that she wasn't sure he could even concentrate on what she was saying.

"I am not using her as my beard."

"Really? That's what you're choosing to take from what I said?" Ben shook his head and dropped his arms to his side. "I know I don't have the best history with girls but I am not using anyone, I will make it up to every girl in my life for my mistakes as a man."

Bella wanted to laugh but she held it in, Ben was being serious. Maybe he was right, not much could go wrong today anyway.

"There you two are, we're ready to start this," Doug said as he walked up to them. Bella was confused, hadn't family day started the minute all the families started to arrive? "Alright, ready to perform Bells?" 

She looked at the two of them as if they were insane, what were they talking about?

Then it clicked.

"Wait, you were serious about that?" She asked which made Doug laugh, he and Ben just grabbed her by her arms and dragged her along with them. Boys were cruel, why would they make her sing or dance especially unprepared? She tried to pull away, but Ben was taller than her even with her heels on. She looked around to see if Evie had shown up, maybe if she wasn't there to see her then she would go along with the bit. Unfortunately, Evie was there, she was standing a bit far from the other guests with her friends alongside her.

"Okay, okay, fine I'll go along with it just let me go."
This went against the image she had worked so hard to create, dark and mysterious people don't sing or dance!

Bella was thankful that years of ballroom classes prepared her for dancing in uncomfortable shoes. Now that that was over with, she should maybe talk to Evie. She was ready for it! She didn't know why her feet were planted on the ground when she so obviously wanted to move... So maybe she wasn't fully ready, she hadn't prepared herself for what to say.

"Family day includes our parents, they're waiting for us. You'll talk to your girlfriend later." She smiled awkwardly as she took his arm and walked towards their parents, she would have to talk to Evie eventually.

Their parents were waiting for them, they were a funny sight to see. King Adam was a whole foot taller than his wife and children, though Ben was sure to join him sooner or later. Queen Belle was still as beautiful as ever, she had the kindest eyes and a welcoming smile. A giant and a mouse, hilarious.