Chapter 22 - Jokes and Laughter

This one's super short, but I had to publish soo... enjoy.

"I'm jealous kid." He took a swig from his beer bottle, looking to me with his eyebrows raised. "Why? Because you'd rather be that guy at the counter?" I laughed as I nudged his shoulder. He chuckled as he brought his bottle back down to his side, it hanging loosely from his fingers.

"Not that. You two just seemed so... in love. Oh to be in love." He exaggerated with a grin, jokingly pretending to faint as if to mock me. I rolled my eyes with the slightest annoyance and disappointment, but still laughed at his jeering.

"Ah yes, young love. It sure is the most beautiful thing on the planet." I joined him with sarcasm before taking a sip of my beer, quickly bringing it down as I couldn't help but laugh. He chuckled at my words, a gleam of bliss in his eyes.

"Too bad you'll never have it." I mocked, confidently walking strong. He scoffed at my remarks, yet a smile still adorned his features, for he was amused by my words nonetheless. "You're real annoying kid." He replied, that same laugh and proudness in his voice. "Then do something about it." I dared. He only laughed, as he always had.

"Hey, how old are ya now anyways?" He spoke before finishing off his entire bottle of beer. I laughed, amazed that he didn't know how old I was. "Seventeen." I still replied. "You really should know that Winston, assuming you're still the same age." I joked, looking to him with a wide grin.

"Alright, alright. I just forgot, no need to get wise with me." He threw his empty bottle to the concrete, it shattering in mere seconds as it touched the edge of the sidewalk. "You really shouldn't be one to talk Dallas." I took another swig, the beer sending a tingling sensation down my throat and a shiver down my spine. He sighed and shook his head with a smile, seeming entertained by me.

"Well..." He took in a breath before looking ahead. "We're both the same in that way. Aren't we?" He peered down at me, his dark and endearing eyes meeting with mine. This look was a bit different than his usual demeanor which had usually been cold, resentful, and annoyed. I enjoyed this unusual spark of happiness in him. I gave out a chuckle before speaking, "Guess we are." I took another shot from my bottle, now about three quarters finished.

"Where's this movie place at, huh?" I finished my swig. "Just up ahead. Don't worry Lee, you'll get your popcorn soon enough." He mocked, smirking at his own use of words. "Thanks Dallas." I replied sarcastically as I watched him look ahead, admiring his features as they were presented so perfectly in the orange evening sunlight.

It went silent again, only occasional sounds of me taking a drink from my bottle before throwing it to the ground. Our steps, loud again in the quiet atmosphere, almost echoed through the town as we strutted beside each other.

I watched the sky as its array of colors filled the horizon. Billowing clouds turning golden and glowing like that of a star. Reds, oranges, and yellows shining bright in the sunlight. The entirety of the area washing orange, tinting my skin and making me shine.

"It's beautiful." I spoke softly. Dallas turned his attention to me, then to the sky which my eyes had been fixated upon. "The sunset?" He questioned with a laugh. I only nodded, never taking my focus off of the admirable sky. "Man..." He trailed off, "you're a nerd like Pony, ain't ya?" He chuckled, looking down to me again. I backhanded his shoulder, annoyed by his comment. "First, Ponyboy isn't a 'nerd'. Second, sunsets and sunrises are beautiful, and you're an idiot for not thinking they are." I defended. "If ya say so kid." He put his hands up, jokingly defending himself as if I were a threat.

"I hate you Dallas." I crossed my arms while laughing almost silently in a breath. "I hate you too kid." He ruffled my hair, his whiteish teeth peering through his agape lips.