Chapter 40 - Entangled Mind

Sorry I haven't published in so long. I was soooo indecisive when it came to what to do with this chapter lol. Also Wattpad hasn't been working well? Anyways, enjoy!

The silence hung over me and Dallas like glass, waiting patiently to be shattered at any passing moment as we stood almost paralyzed.

His gaze never left me, yet my view darted in every direction, not daring to pass over his eyes once. My heart still kept its brisk pace, making its presence known throughout my entire body as my face still retained its dismayed appearance, my cheeks still burning up like fire and my hands veiled with sweat.

The touch and warmth of his lips still played along mine with tickling touch, causing a shiver to be sent down my spine. My body was still tense, still sweltering as Dallas's eyes trailed over my face, his eyebrows knitted together as he persisted in waiting patiently for me to respond.

The vulnerable part of me wanted to kiss him again, take him into my grasp and never let go. But the whole situation felt so strange and surreal, almost as if I was in a dreamlike haze and the whole world had been turned upside down in a mere second.

I've anticipated this moment for so long, finding that the mere thought of it loiters around my mind every now and then. After all, the image of his lips upon mine was burned into my brain since the day I laid eyes on the boy, almost as if it was a far away memory, a fabled blur that glowed in my mind.

That same feeling of love always wanted to escape, but something fastened it in my brain long ago, keeping it there for an eternity and leaving my mind in utter disarray.

So instead of responding like the little girl in me hoped I would someday, I kept my body motionless while my mind moved at the speed of light. I let out a deep breath as I finally locked my eyes with his, searching through their darkened void for some sort of answer as to why he even kissed me in the first place.

However, after a grueling period of standing still and awkward, my twisted thoughts were interrupted by an abrupt grunt from Dallas. His hands forcefully shoved my body away as his arms came untied from my waist, his warmth disappearing from my body as he took a few steps back.

"Never mind." He muttered through gritted teeth as he crossed his arms angrily, clenching his jaw tightly against his cigar as he pulled it back to his lips, his gaze now engrossed in the distance ahead instead of me.

I held my gaze on him, examining his disgruntled presence as I contemplated my own feelings and thoughts. For a moment, I felt disappointed, a lump welling up within my throat while my mouth hung agape in an attempt to speak. However, anger quickly rolled over me as I ran my thoughts through my head once more, my eyebrows coming together as I stared to the boy at my front.

"You're an asshole." I made my statement rather loudly and confidently as I crossed my arms over my chest. I waited for a moment, the irritating knot in my heart growing as I lingered for his reply. I hoped for something as much as an explanation for what just occurred, but came to the conclusion that he wouldn't show such a soft spot for me, and that fact only nagged at my dejected self.

In truth, I wasn't sure I was frustrated with Dallas. Rather, I was frustrated with myself more than anything. This boy, who now indignantly stood at my front, had tugged at my feelings for the longest time, ever since I met him. He made my world a cascading mess of confusion, my heart pound out of my chest as if trying to escape a prison, my mind embroiled with love, and my legs falter at every glance he caught from me. Yet I chose not to give in.

Having the single chance I had waited for, I threw it away as if it were nothing. God knows why I allowed that reality to nag at me so much. And, after no further response other than a peeved huff from Dallas, I hastily turned away, water glazing my eyes as I began walking off the porch. Never in my life would I let Dallas Winston see me cry, especially over something as stupid as this.

"Leaving already?" The familiar voice of a joyful Two-Bit echoed from the porch as he abruptly peaked through the front door. I brought my attention to him for a moment, but promptly brought it back to the floor as tears threatened to fall from my eyes. "I'll see you later Two-Bit." I said bluntly, my voice hoarse as the lump in my throat grew. "See ya." He closed the door again as he headed back inside.

I looked back to Dallas once more before picking up my pace, the heels of my boots heavy against the dirt as I headed home. "God damnit." I muttered to myself as I wiped tears from my cheeks.