Chapter 23 - Drive-in Movies

"Well..." He sighed, stopping abruptly at the front of a twisted metal fence that had been rusted, the brownish yellow grass lining the bottom like a jungle. "This is it." He put out a hand, presenting the place proudly to me as if it were his own. "Then... where's the entrance man?" I quipped, my arms crossed and my face turned with an arrogant smirk. He shook his head in a way of displaying his slight annoyance, looking to me with a half smile that seemed so extraordinary to me.

"You do know me, don't you Lee?" He looked knowingly at me. "I never do anything legal man. Come on." He nudged my side, a devilish and daring gleam so prominent in his eyes as he wandered boastfully to the fence. I watched closely and curiously as I slowly inched toward him, adrenaline taking over my mind and body.

He grunted as he lifted a small part of the fence that had been broken, bending the metal ever so slightly with every other passing second. With one last dauntless glance and smirk to me, and a small groan, he finished peeling open the fence with confidence.

"Alright." He sighed, rubbing his hands together with excitement as he walked to my side. He looked to me then to the fence, hinting that I go in first. "Ladies first Dallas." I finally jeered after a moment of silence, gesturing to the small opening with a chuckle. He rolled his eyes, a slight grin adorning his lips at the same time. "You're such a smart ass, aren't ya kid?" He ruffled my hair, the touch of his rough hand against my head sending chills down my spine. "Or so I've heard." I crossed my arms with pride as I shrugged with a slight sense of superiority.

He merely sighed, giving up on trying to break my wit. "I really can't deal with ya sometimes darlin'." He then walked away towards the fence, his knuckles shoved deep into his pockets. "Darlin'?" I smiled wildly, surprised and utterly confused by his words as I cocked an eyebrow. He chuckled as I came to his side at the front of the opening in the fence. I waited for moment, staring as he stood still.

"You gonna go playboy?" I persisted, crossing my arms and shifting my stance with a grin. "Playboy, huh?" He laughed, grunting as he crouched down and slid through the opening. "Well if you call me darlin' then I'll have to call you playboy." I responded quickly as I began to follow him through the opening. "It's only fair." I slowly crawled through, my knees wet with mud.

"Whatever you say darlin'." He smiled, offering to help me up by putting out his hand. I looked up to him, taken aback and somewhat enticed by his sudden acts of kindness. Quickly, though, as to not give into his temptation, I denied his offer, standing up with pride and a cocky smirk. He merely rolled his eyes, sticking out his tongue afterwards to mock me.

"Come on, I don't wanna miss the movie." He jeered, nudging me along by the shoulder through the dirt filled ground. "I didn't take that long." I rolled my eyes with a laugh. "Felt like it." He stated swiftly and boastfully. "Thanks Winston." I sighed, walking with crossed arms. With dirt grinding beneath our feet and our strides creating dust, we walked through the drive-in, aisles of fancy cars all lined to face the large and bright screen. The movie that had played cast its light upon the shiny metal of the vehicles, the edges of each pristine surface shining bright with elegance.

I watched as girls and boys walked around and chatted loudly, galavanting along with pride as if they were showing off their expensive clothes, hair, and cars to everyone in their sights. "Socs..." Dallas trailed off with a sigh and an eye roll. "Socs? What's that?" I questioned as I came to his side. He nodded to the crowd of people who stood in the lot of cars, an annoyed look plastered on his face.

"The richies over there?" I questioned with a laugh. "Yeah." He chuckled. "Socs is short for socials, it's what we like to call the south side people, the richies." He looked down to me. "I suggest you do your best to stay away from em'." He explained with seriousness. I nodded, looking over to the crowd once more before continuing to follow Dallas across the dusty ground.

We made it to an area filled with outdoor folding chairs where a group of rowdy people sat, looking tuff and proud. "This is where people like us sit. The greasers, east side people." He smiled with haughtiness, pleased to live his hard knock life with the other so called "greasers". I nodded again, smiling along with him as I watched people roughhouse with each other while sitting in their chairs. He looked aimlessly around for open seats by standing high on his feet and peering into the growing and loud audience, looking ever so annoyed with every passing moment that he hadn't seen a vacant area.

Content once he found a spot, however, he put his hand to the small of my back, causing my body to grow with heat at his sudden touch. "Come on." He led me down an aisle, sitting us down behind a loud pair of boys. He sighed and smiled as he sat down, satisfied with his selection of seats that had been situated in the second row of chairs. Before turning my attention to the movie, I looked to him with question. "Popcorn?" I grinned with a laugh. "Oh yeah." He quickly stood up. I laughed as he left for the concession stand, feeling partly amused by his forgetfulness.