Chapter 39 - A Surreal Moment

Cheers, yells and laughter came from inside the house as we still sat on the porch, the quiet night encapsulating us as the cold breeze slipped onto our bodies, nipping at our skin to effortlessly spread goosebumps across us. The train horn still howled over the horizon every once and awhile, bringing an extra bit of life to the silent outdoor air. I admired the stars, down to fallen leaves of autumn, blissful as I bathed in the pale moonlight that shined down on us.

It was tranquil, and I found it quite pleasant. Although, despite that, there was still a dawdling tension between me and the fatigued boy who sat aside, bringing along a wave of apprehension to the moment.

Time had passed slowly and Dallas continued to look forward, focused on the painted landscape ahead as he clenched his jaw, clearly bothered by some flooding thought. He didn't even dare to glance to his side, he kept his back slouched and looked almost hypnotized in his own thinking.

I still kept keen focus on the smoke that emitted freely through the air from the end of my blunt, the smell of tobacco taking me in its haste clutch of addiction. However, even though I wouldn't venture to admit it, I was happy of Dallas's presence and overall demeanor at the time. Jealousy had flawlessly veiled over his face and all I could do was smile about it.

"A soc? Really?" Dallas finally let out, rather quietly and out of the blue as he whipped his head towards me, his eyebrows narrowly fused together. I rolled my eyes and uttered a scoff. However, this was only a cover up for what truly laid beyond my scornful nature. Really, his nearly confirmed envy made my heart erupt in joy and my haughtiness light up, causing heat to rush through my body rapidly.

"Whats up with you lately? Why are you so obsessed with dictating what I choose to do with my shitty life?" I shook my head and crossed my arms at him, my lips upturned in a sarcastic yet arrogant smile. I was eager to hear his response, happy and ready to accept the notion that he could be possibly jealous of William and I.

"I'm just worried about you, okay?!" He stood abruptly, a certain and unexplainable passion blazing in his eyes as he stared daggers into mine. My expression was left speechless, motionless, surprised even. I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out, leaving my lips hung agape and my breath sharp.

"You just- you're just..." He tried to find his words as he stuttered, his view lingering up and down my body as he continued. I anticipated his answer as I still sat near him, my mind becoming more composed and focused as time went on. Ultimately, after every passing second of groaning silence, I became aggravated with his hesitation to answer me.

"God Dallas! You're such a jerk, you know that?!" I rose bluntly from my position on the steps, my brows now wrinkled in anger and my hands balled up tightly. "What makes you think you have the authority to take control over my life, huh?!" I grew closer to him before awaiting his answer. I crossed my arms over my chest firmly, almost as if I felt the need to protect myself from what I expected to happen next, that is, a lash out from Dallas.

"You're just- you're..." He continued, now aimlessly looking around, hesitation clouding his gaze completely. Another quiet moment went by before I became sick of his silence, so I shouted again, "I'm what? Irresponsible? Stupid?! What?!" I grew louder and louder with every question I asked, anticipating some sort of vulgar explanation from him as I threw my hands up out of frustration and spite. I pointed my finger in his face, "You have no right to-"

I was suddenly cut off by his lips smashing into mine. Taken aback by his sudden act of desperation, my eyes widened and chills were sent down my spine like lightning. I was frozen in place and my body was tense, while every hormone in my body shot up from their sleep rapidly, allowing butterflies to swarm my stomach furiously. Heat flashed my entirety, painting my cheeks dangerously red and masking my hands with a layer sweat. A nervous lump grew in my throat and I felt as if I couldn't breathe, causing my body to feel pricked and uneasy.

His lips felt perfect against mine, filling every inch of my skin with goosebumps. His hands snaked around my waist and his touch was lustful. I had waited for this moment for what felt like an eternity, yet I couldn't kiss back, the whole thing was just to surreal.

He pulled away after a moment, seeing as how I wasn't responding to his lips. He looked for any hint of feeling in my stunned face, his eyes scanning every inch of my surface with worry. With a motionless stance, I stared at him in disarray, my eyes darting between his eyes and lips while my mind was an entangled mess. His breath was heavy against mine and it felt as if time had stopped in an awkward position.

"What should I do?" I thought.