7

Nadja stood alone in an empty room aboard the Elisabetha and practiced using the Vikla power. Or rather, she tried. For some reason, she could not get it to work. After a few uneventful minutes, she gave up and went to find Lars.

"Hey, Lars?"

Nadja asked. Lars came over to her.

"I've been practicing, but I am still finding the Vikla power difficult to use. Think you could help me?"

He nodded and the two of them returned to the empty room. Nadja flung her knife down of the floor and tried to lift it without success, it didn't move at all. That was weird, she usually managed to make it wiggle on the floor even when she failed to lift it, but not this time.

"Here, let me show you again."

Lars lifted his hand, but nothing happened. He looked down at her and Nadja met his eyes.

"Something's wrong, it's not working.. I can't use the Vikla power either."

After the disastrous attempt at using the Vikla power, Lars proceeded to teach Nadja to block her mind from others trying to read it. She found this much easier than moving objects without touching them, for she had practically done it already. Rather than concentrating on specific memories she wanted to show, she had to concentrate on nothing and push that forth in her mind instead. Though far from the same, it didn't feel that different to Nadja.

Nadja sat down in her usual seat beside Malcolm for their next lesson. The newcomer walked towards where Nadja, Malcolm and the Dracas clan sat, but Inger told her no. She opted to sit down next to Alisa, who smiled at her.

"A question for the class," Conte Claudio said, starting the lesson. "Bloodborn and Shadow vampires. What is the real difference between us and them?"

Joanne de Pyras raised her hand. "Bloodborns are born vampires."

Tammo von Vamalia raised his hand. "We have a mum and dad, while shadows just have a maker. They were humans once and then made vampire."

Luciano of Nosferas raised his hand. "All bloodborn vampires stem directly from Lord Dracula."

"Well, if a Bloodborn loses, say, a finger," Lars raised his hand to show a finger missing. "it stays off. With a shadow, it's back the next night."

Nadja stared at him, wondering how he lost his finger.

"Anything else?"

"The real question is, sir, what is more fun? Picking a Bloodborn or a Shadow?"

Malcolm asked, which made a couple of them chuckle.

"A Bloodborn."

Lars said.

"Obviously."

Nadja added. Again, laughter ensued.

"Malcolm of Vyrad, Lars of Dracas and Nadja of Belov" Conte Claudio began.

"It's Nadja ot Belov, actually." Nadja corrected him.

He gave her a hard look.

"Do you have anything useful to add?"

The three looked at each other and Malcolm spoke.

"Bloodborns can get pregnant, shadows are not allowed. We have special powers that shadows don't."

"Like?" The Elder prompted him.

"We can compel, after we turn eighteen." He replied.

"Furthermore, each clan has their own ruby giving them powers." Nadja said.