20

Although Baron Magnus' survival was now ensured, his body required time to heal before he could walk among them once more. Thus, Lars and Nadja stood beside the coffin in which he lay, saying their final goodbyes to him before he is moved to a safe place in the forest.

"God bedring, pappa. Jeg skal holde klanen vår sterk til du er frisk igjen. Get well, father. I will keep our clan strong until you have recovered." Lars told their father.

"Og jeg skal holde den trygg. And I will keep it safe." Nadja added.

Their uncle Ragnar came up to them, gave Nadja an odd look and handed something to Lars.

"Han trenger ikke den lenger, den trenger du. He doesn't need this anymore, you do."

Nadja took a step back to give the two of them some space, though still close enough to step in if something were to happen. Although Calvina was still locked up on the Elisabetha, Nadja couldn't shake the feeling that her brother was in danger somehow, that something would happen to him. She was getting paranoid. Perhaps it was caused by their father's illness and would fade, or at least dim, by the time he had fully recovered. Nadja could only hope that would be the case.

"Jeg synes du er veldig modig, Lars. Jeg vet at du og faren din ikke alltid var enige om allting, og det at du nå er nødt til å ta over hans rolle er.. Du viser stort mot. Husk at jeg alltid vil være din støtte og være der hos deg. I find you very brave, Lars. I know you and your father didn't always agree on everything, and the fact that you now have to inherit his role is.. You show a great deal of bravery. Remember that I will always be your support and be there for you."

Nadja coughed pointedly. After a glance over at her, and she could have sworn he almost smiled, Lars closed the coffin.

"Vakter! Ta han med til Svartskogen så han kan helbredes. Guards! Take him to the Black Forest so he may heal." He commanded.

Four Dracas vampires came towards them, each bearing a torch.

"Han må ha tilsyn døgnet rundt helt til han er frisk igjen! He needs to be watched around the clock until he has recovered." Lars added as they raised the coffin and carried it away, leaving Lars and Nadja alone in the middle of the circle of vampires.

"Dette er også en gledens dag. This is also a joyous day." Uncle Ragnar stepped forth from where he stood, only a foot away from Lars, and took hold of his shoulders.

Right, he was there too. Nadja had nearly forgotten about him.

"Vi skal feire. La oss feire alle sammen! We shall celebrate. Let us all celebrate together!" He bellowed. "Vi har en ny klanleder! We have a new clan leader!"

Cheers erupted from the vampires all around them. First the Dracas, who understood what Ragnar had said, and then the other clans joined in. Nadja wondered whether they could say anything in Norwegian and get the same result if they planned it with the other Dracas vampires. A smile spread across her lips at the thought. This really was a time for celebration. Quite suddenly, a sense of great awkwardness washed over Nadja. Should she be here, with the clan leader? She debated whether to walk over to where the other Heirs stood, but Ragnar returned before she had time to make up her mind.

"Lars! Det er et veldig viktig møte inne, klanlederne. Du kan snakke med vennene dine senere. Lars! There is a very important meeting inside, the clan leaders. You may speak with your friends later." Uncle Ragnar said with a glance at Nadja and then at Ivy and Alisa who were on their way over right then.

Ragnar led Lars away and was visibly confused when Lars indicated for Nadja to follow after them. She did so with a grin. Maybe she had a right to be there after all. Not only was she the Heir of Belov, and for all intents and purposes the clan leader, but she was also Lars' right hand. Yes, she had reason enough to follow them. Inside sat the Elders. Every living clan leader, except for Seymour, were gathered in the tent.