23

Abraham van Helsing, the famous vampire hunter. He had left the Elisabetha on the same day Nadja had arrived, but not before destroying their map. Now back, and demanding to speak with Alisa. Disarmed by Hindrik, van Helsing entered the classroom, that had functionally become Alisa's office, surrounded by Calvina, Hindrik, Karen, Nadja and Malcolm.

"Can we have some privacy?" Van Helsing asked, looking only at Alisa.

"Whatever you have to say to me, they can hear." Alisa said boldly. "What do you want?"

The two of them found their seats before Abraham spoke.

"Alisa, you know what I'm after."

"The rubies." Alisa replied.

Nadja suddenly became very glad she'd hidden hers before he arrived. She had a feeling this conversation would take an unlikeable turn if Abraham van Helsing knew she had one.

"Yes. And I have what you want."

"Your copy of the map."

Van Helsing leant closer to Alisa.

"Do you really believe that there is a Knot?" He asked.

"You don't?"

"What I do believe in, is the raw power of the rubies. With their power, I can defeat Dracula." Abraham claimed.

"Well, I know where he's going to be very soon."

"Tell me." He demanded.

"I'll tell you. For your copy of my map."

Nadja smiled. This was getting interesting.

"Not so fast Alisa. I have what you need, you have nothing I want. You're empty handed. I have an army of Redmasks ready to fight you and Dracula. I'm calling the shots."

Van Helsing knew how to negotiate alright.

"Then why are you here? You need me to defeat him. Your army is worth nothing against him. That's why you destroyed our map. So we'd be forced to work with you."

Abraham glanced over at the others in the room, who still stood between him and the only exit.

"As soon as Dracula starts using his rubies, he'll be too powerful for you. But not for me." Alisa went on.

"Let's make a deal. Your help, for my copy of the map."

Alisa snorted. "No. I can't trust you to keep your promise."

"We're past trust, Alisa. Dracula is going to beat you to your precious Knot if you don't work with me."

Alisa gave him a look.

"If we don't work together, I mean." He corrected himself. "So, what's it going to be? Captain?"

Tammo and Joanne burst through the doors.

"Alisa, you need to come right now!" Tam urged.

"What is it?"

"Something's happened to Ivy." Joanne explained.

Alisa got up at once. "Get him out of here."

"You can find me in what's left of your old house." Abraham said as he got to his feet.

"Get him out!" Alisa called from across the room.

"You heard her, van Helsing." Malcolm said as he, Nadja and the grown Shadows approached.

"Get lost." Nadja spat as he passed slowly.

Calvina didn't have the patience to wait for Abraham to leave on his own in this tempo. She placed a hand on his back and dragged him along.