22

They awoke before sunrise and slid out on the roof. After watching the Redmasks going in and out of the Vamalia house all night, all the vampires needed for a successful infiltration, was the password. That, and a disguise. To Nadja's surprise, both were easy to find. After Hindrik had managed to get his hands on two red masks, all they had to do was wait for someone to go in and eavesdrop on them. Only half an hour after they had gotten into position, someone wearing red cloth walked up to the door and knocked on it. Nadja heard clearly what the password was and, to her surprise, she understood the gist of it. It was almost like Norwegian.

"Stay with me, it's best if we don't get separated." Hindrik whispered.

Nadja nodded. If they split up, she might not be able to protect him from the burning rays of the sun. Hindrik led her out onto the street towards the house. The sun was shining brightly above them, but as Nadja was protecting Hindrik, that wouldn't be a problem. He knocked on the door and a Redmask poked his head out. Hindrik gave him the password and they were let inside. It didn't take long before Hindrik and Nadja were assigned to patrolling the streets for signs of vampires. That should be easy enough, given they were already planning on looking out for Alisa when she came. Assuming she decided to pursue the Knot rather than Ragnar. Would she, though?

Three days of patrolling later, Nadja was beginning to doubt whether Alisa was going to come at all. Surely she would have been here by now if she was, surely.

"Hindrik?"

"What is it?"

"Do you think Alisa is going to come to Hamburg?"

"Of course. It is important that she does, and Alisa always makes the right choice."

"You really have faith in her, don't you?"

"She has proved to be worthy of our trust."

Nadja nodded slowly.

"Because she always does what's best for everyone." She said.

"Exactly."

That night, Hindrik was proven right. Alisa, Ivy and Calvina, all wearing red scarfs, entered the Vamalia house.

A sudden thunk from upstairs caught Nadja's attention, and the Redmasks around her looked up too. Nadja walked up the remainder of the stairs to investigate, and was joined by the Redmask closest to her. When they passed through the door frame, Nadja pretended to slip and grabbed onto her fellow.

"Whoops, sorry."

They pressed on. Nadja only hoped the others had heard her warning and realised they weren't alone up here. When Nadja and the Redmask rounded the corner, they could see Hindrik, Alisa, Ivy and Calvina trying to hide. If only they had been a little faster. The Redmask beside Nadja said something in German, making Hindrik and Alisa get out their fangs and growl at him. What had he said, to make them react this way? They might have been able to play it off, maybe. Well, not anymore. Her companion rushed past her and shouted off the top of his lungs.

"Vampir! Vampir!"

As the sounds of Redmasks gathering downstairs reached them, the vampires began to freak out.

"What do we do?" Alisa shrieked.

Redmasks came rushing around the corner and Nadja slid unnoticed into their midst. Hindrik closed the doors just before the Redmasks reached them. After a bit of banging on the doors, they opened to reveal Calvina wielding a long knife, with Hindrik, Ivy and Alisa on their knees before her.

"Stand down!" She shouted, one hand up against the mass of Redmasks.

"What? Vampires in our headquarters?" Asked a Redmask.