19

When Alisa arrived, accompanied by Karen and Hindrik, they were all outside waiting for her. Lars and Nadja were bent down by their father's side, everyone else standing in rows at either side of them. The old woman, whom Nadja now knew to be the Noaidi, stood by the opening of her tent. Alisa stopped in front of her.

"You know me?" Alisa asked.

The Noaidi took her hand. "I know all." She claimed.

Alisa turned to look at Lars.

"Don't let Lars' feelings affect you. He blames you for all of this."

"He's not the only one." Nadja wanted to say, but she couldn't. Grief had sewn her mouth shut, and so she could only lean her head against her brother's shoulder and watch their father lay there in pain.

"But those feelings, you need to set aside. Your mind needs to be free." The Noaidi continued.

"If you want to set her mind free, you're not helping with your talk, old lady." Said Seymour.

"The silver that lingers in his body is keeping his mind locked in a state between life and death, between light and darkness." The Noaidi went on, as if there hadn't been any interruptions. "He is lost in his memories, and the silver is keeping him there. We need you to find him before he chooses to stay."

"You want me to go into his mind?" Alisa asked in surprise.

Nadja raised her head to look at the Noaidi. She noticed Lars doing the same.

"It has to be you. A family or clan member can't enter, they have too much past with him. They will get lost in his memories. As for the Elders, they have a past with him too. We need a pure spirit to shine a light and guide him back to us."

"How dangerous is it?" Hindrik asked.

"She might never return. If she gets lost, trapped inside, they will fade together."

"I'll do it." Alisa said.

"No, Alisa-" Dame Elina began, but Nadja cut her off.

"No, I will do it." Nadja got to her feet.

The Noaidi looked at her. "I said no family or clan memb-"

"Only because we have history with him! But I don't! I've only spoken to him once until two days ago, and even then he hasn't been conscious for most of our time together. Please, let me do it. I've seen it before, I know I can do it."

The Noaidi stared at her for a moment, not quite convinced, but she sighed and nodded all the same. "Well then."

Nadja turned to face Alisa. "The Contessa sacrificed herself to keep you and the Spark safe, allow me to do as I have the right and duty to do, whilst ensuring her sacrifice was not in vain."

Music began playing as Nadja and the Noaidi readied themselves. Lars sat at his father's side, but close enough to Nadja that he could have his hand on Nadja's shoulder, as if afraid to let her go fully. The motion was appreciated.

"Vær forsiktig, og sørg for komme tilbake. Be careful, and ensure you return." Lars begged her.

The Noaidi spoke. "Every mind is different, every maze will be different. You will have to travel back through his memories, through his past. Find him and convince him of his present, but be careful. The silver will fight you every step of the way."

Nadja closed her eyes and when she opened them again, she saw only faint stone walls through the darkness. A torch was conjured in her hand. Its warmth and support reminded Nadja of Lars, as if it was an incarnation of their siblingship. She began to walk, senses alert for anything that moved. Nadja turned a corner and saw a vampire running towards her, sword in hand. She drew her blades, or at least she tried to. The sheathes were empty, her knives were not on her. The vampire suddenly fell forwards with a sword sticking out of their back. Baron Magnus came walking over and picked up what must have been his thrown sword. He bent down by the corpse and something red was glinting in his hand when he got to his feet again a moment later. The Grimur ruby. This must then be the Grimur Elder, and the battle in which Belov had lost their allies.