25

Nadja wandered aimlessly, too restless to do anything except walk. She had to keep moving, or else the wait would consume her. Nicu and Calvina were away, watching van Helsing's hideout for ways to break in. Although Nadja had debated offering to go with them, she hadn't. The two of them needed some time alone, now that Calvina was human again. Ivy and Inger also seemed to want time alone lately, and Nadja had wondered whether they had feelings for each other, only to decide it wasn't her place to prod. The same could be said for Lars and Alisa, who Nadja knew had feelings for each other. As Malcolm was a prisoner of van Helsing, Nadja didn't know what to do. She distrusted Dracula, but Alisa believed in him and that should be good enough for even the most paranoid of vampires. In addition, he had already caught her tailing him earlier that same day. What she longed most for now, was leaving the ship and wandering the streets, but she couldn't. When Nicu and Calvina returned, she would have to be here to discuss their strategy for the upcoming conflict. Finally, after what felt like hours, their human companions returned. Everyone gathered in Alisa's office to discuss tactics. Nicu unfolded a map of the area.

"There are twelve Redmasks circling the lot. In three shifts." He placed red flags onto the map. "These are their positions."

"I can create a diversion in the West." Alisa murmured. "Draw their attention.."

"It's a trap." Dracula claimed.

Everyone turned to look at him. Undisturbed, he kept going.

"Always let your opponent think there is a weak spot. You're being played."

"He's right. Van Helsing is a soldier. Had he not known to strategise, he would never have made it this far. Whatever feels most obvious, is what he wants us to do." Nadja would have never imagined herself agreeing with Dracula, but the times were changing, as were they.

"Then what?" Alisa prompted.

Dracula, who had until then stood at the edge of the room, came up to the table and began pointing at the map. "You all come in from the east."

"But you just said it was a trap." Ivy interrupted.

Dracula turned to look at her. The silence that followed was eventually broken, as Nadja caught up with Dracula's plan.

"But van Helsing doesn't know that. For all he's concerned, he successfully tricked us. If we give the impression we've fallen for his trap, we can stay one step ahead of him without him realising it's not the other way round. He'll be overconfident and easier to surprise. That might just give us the edge we need to win."

"Exactly. I walk in with Alisa, as if I am her prisoner. This will distract him from seeing what is really happening around him. Some of you will come in from the side, sneak up to him and steal the map and the rubies. Another team will take Pyras girl and Vyrad boy out."

"Then we'll need another team to watch you." Ivy stared unblinkingly at Dracula as she said this. She too had found the right mindset for this.

Nadja nodded to her. Being able to identify all possible dangers and problems would be what earned them their victory, given they succeeded.

"You still don't trust me?" Dracula asked, sounding almost offended.

The silence that followed, and everyone's eyes on Dracula, told him clearly that they indeed did not trust him. Alisa broke the silence.

"We have no choice. We have to get van Helsing's copy of the map."

To Nadja's surprise, and everyone else's too by the looks of it, Dracula spat out a ruby. The Tova ruby.

"Take it. As a sign of trust. It's yours. Keep it safe alongside the other rubies, but let van Helsing believe I still have it."

"That's not a bad plan actually." Lars chimed in.