Chapter 2: The Induction

Furina could feel her face begin to heat up at Quincy's sudden gesture. Who does he think he is? She quickly pulled her hand away from the boy, resisting the urge to slap that stupid mask off his face. She angrily marched up to Neuvillette, furious with his decision. 

"How dare you! I don't need some guy to watch me like I'm some child!" She argued. "How do I know he's even qualified for this position?!" 

"I can assure you, Lady Furina, Mr. Snezhevich is more than capable of looking after you." Neuvillette responded. "And this is for your own safety."

"Safety? From him? I am the Hydro Archon, I can protect myself!" Furina growled, raising her voice. At this point, she didn't care about some random guy's feelings. He wasn't welcome here. "He doesn't even have a Vision?"

"I may not have a Vision, My Lady, but I will protect you." Quincy replied calmly, walking over to her. He placed a hand on her shoulder, which she shrugged off instantly. 

"If you still have complaints after this week, I will find you another bodyguard. Simply, some people are not happy with your indecision on the Prophecy. In case of attack, you must be protected." Neuvillette stated. 

"I agree." Sedene piped up, resting on Quincy's shoulder. "I think this change will be good for you, Lady Furina." 

"Hmph. Very well." Furina scoffed, trying to resume composure. "You listen up now, Snezhevich." She poked his chest with her finger. The young man did not move. In fact, he had an amused smile on his face! "This week will be a trial period for you!"

"Sure." The reply flew out of the boy's mouth instantly. Neuvillette tapped his cane on the ground and began to speak.

"Mr. Snezhevich, we'll see you tonight at your induction ceremony. And tomorrow, you'll move into the Palais Mermonia." The Iudex announced.

"Of course. I understand." Quincy smiled. "I'll see you all tonight, then." His head lowered toward Furina, making it seem like he was looking at her. "Goodbye then, My Lady. May we meet again tonight."

"Ah, wait, Monsieur Snezhevich, you forgot your uniform!" Sedene chased after the man as he left, leaving Furina with Neuvillette. 

"I should get going as well. Lots of people to meet." Furina laughed, trying to leave. However, she was grabbed by Neuvillette and forcibly sat down at her desk. 

"Work." He sighed.

"Ugh. Worth a try."

Third Person POV: Quincy

Quincy's fingers fumbled with the buttons of his work coat, desperately trying to find the holes for the buttons. The uniform was standard issue, but with the Hydro symbol emblazoned on the sleeves, indicating his status. He wished the Fatui emblem could be put on it somewhere. He wanted something familiar, but he wasn't working for the Fatui anymore. Maybe he could get an X on the collar.

"You do now that the buttons are supposed to go the designated spots, right?" A voice teased. His sister, Arlecchino. He heard her walk toward him, and she gently took the buttons out of his hands.

"You came." Quincy spoke softly. "I thought you'd be busy with Harbinger stuff."

"I was, but you're far too important." Arlecchino said, finishing up. "There, now you look official. I can't believe my little brother is growing up." She ruffled his hair, almost knocking the mask off his face. 

"Hey, Arlec, don't do that!" Quincy groaned, pulling away from her. He adjusted the mask and gripped his cane tightly. Nervousness was settling in his stomache, making him feel like a bunch of cicin were flying around.