Chapter 4: The Iudex

Third Person POV: Neuvillette

Neuvillette was ordinarily quite busy. At least, in the mornings. Furina always gave her paperwork to him, which was tedious and time consuming to deal with. Then, when lunch rolled around, he would go out with Sedene and Clorinde. And thus began his free afternoon. If there were trials scheduled, his whole day would revolve around it. Today, was no such day. Today, was normal. Well, as normal as one could be as the Iudex of Fontaine. 

He was enjoying lunch at Café Lucerne, when he noticed Furina's bodyguard Quincy wandering around by himself. Furina mysteriously disappears after lunch, most often in her own office that she scarcely uses. Quincy was probably kicked out, sent to do whatever suited him. Perhaps Neuvillette could get to know the young man. He heard from Furina that he was a serious individual capable of quick-witted sarcastic responses. Sounds like Wriothesley. 

"Ah, Snezhevich, could you come here for a moment." Neuvillette called out to him. The boy angled his head in the direction of his voice and came over. "Why don't you join us here for tea?"

"Are you sure? I don't want to intrude or anything, Monsieur." Quincy replied quickly. Sedene patted an empty chair and gave the bodyguard a pleading look. With an exaggerated sigh, Quincy sat down next to her. "Thank you for inviting, me."

"Hm. This here is Clorinde, a champion duelist." Neuvillette introduced the two of them. "Clorinde, this is Quincy Snezhevich, Furina's bodyguard."

"I've heard great things about you Quincy, from Sedene." Clorinde stated. "Your last name, "Snezhevich," it's a Snezhnayan surname, correct?"

"Yes, but I was born here in Fontaine with my twin sister." Quincy replied. "But I never really left the House so I don't know too much about it."

"Have you ever been to Snezhnaya? Is it cold? Is the snow so cold your tongue freezes?" Sedene asked, spewing off questions like an excited five year old. Neuvillette couldn't help but laugh quietly to himself, as Clorinde carefully observed Quincy. 

"I've been to Snezhnaya a lot to help my sister out with work. I had recently got back from there before applying." Quincy answered as the Melusine handed him a teacup. 

"Do you have other siblings, Quincy?" Clorinde wondered.

"Loads of 'em. I have tons of brothers and sisters, mostly older than me. And I have a lot of nieces and nephews, too." Quincy sounded very proud of his family while he spoke. Neuvillette was glad he had chosen someone with a strong sense of familial love. The Iudex stayed quiet for the rest of lunch, watching as the toher three interacted with one another. Clorinde was the first to leave, followed by Sedene, and eventually Quincy stood up to get going as well.

"Snezhevich, I wish to continue talking with you. Please, follow me." Neuvillette requested. The Iudex knew the boy would follow. The Fatui was structured around following orders, after all. The boy did indeed accompany him all the way to a field of flowers near one of Fontaine's many beaches. "Quincy, I want you to tell me if Furina becomes too much to handle."

"Sorry sir, but I can't do that." Quincy shook his head. "She is my responsibility now. You entrusted her to me and therefore I will handle her. I wouldn't be much of a bodyguard if I couldn't handle erratic behavior."

"Good answer. I can see you have a good soul. Tell me, Quincy, what will you do if the Fatui and the Gardes come into conflict with one another?"

"Are you questioning my decision making?"

"Answer the question."

"If it comes down to it, I'll only fight the Fatui. I won't help arrest or kill them. Furina's safety is the top priority." Neuvillette was about to speak when the boy continued. "But if it's my sister, or one of my nieces and nephews in danger because of Furina or the Gardes, or even you...I won't hesitate to kill the ones that endanger my family."