Buried Deep

Knock Knock.

I excused myself from the dining table where we all sat, sipping wine and talking. Monica had cooked the meal perfectly. I opened the door, surprised at the face that looked back at me. "Hey girl!"

"Jamal, what are you doing here?"

He waved me off and walked in, holding two plastic bags that had bottles inside. "I was bored and wanted to hang out with people. "I shut the door as he walked around, obviously looking for the rest. "Where's the hotty and his hot brother?"

"Jamal, you can't just show up at someone's house unannounced!" He reached into his bag and pulled out a bottle of Jack Daniel's.

"I've got alcohol."

I hugged him tightly. "Where have you been?!"

We walked towards the dining table where they all raised their heads at the sound of footsteps. Monica got out of her seat and hugged Jamal. "Jamal! This is a surprise!"

"Hey, girl. Hey hotty number one and hotty number two."

"Jamal!" I exclaimed, embarrassed at his behaviour. Ryan extended his hand and Jamal pulled him into a hug instead. He did the same to Ethan and the brothers did nothing but laugh. Jamal sat beside me and poured himself a drink. I snatched the bottle away from him and drank it straight. I smiled when I saw all the perplexed faces staring back at me. I shrugged shyly. "I was thirsty."

Ryan gave me a knowing look. "Uh-huh."

I blushed as they all shook their heads at me. I was grateful for Jamal's loud interruption. "Asia's got it right, let's get our drink on!"

Although I chuckled at his brashness, everybody took his idea on board and drank, diving into conversation.

Hours later, I found myself seated next to Jamal, who was beside Ryan. Ryan sat across Monica, who was beside Ethan, thus leaving me opposite Ethan.

"This is the most fun I've had in a long time!" Monica exclaimed bouncing up and down as she poured more whiskey into her glass.

"Mon, don't you think you should be a bit careful with how much you drink? I thought you had work tomorrow?"

"I do but I'm just celebrating, baby! Drink up, guys, come on."

Jamal and I looked at each other before downing our drinks and filling our cups. "We are going to regret this in the morning, Asia." He uttered, wincing as the drink burnt his throat

"Mon, you have an important meeting in the morning. I doubt drinking would be wise."

She pouted and Ethan wrapped his arm around her. "Fine, that means drinking games are out of the question. Let's talk."

I felt a pang in my heart as the couple cosied up to each other. "About what?"

"Life! Ryan and Ethan don't know you like I do... let's talk."

Ethan coughed and I tried to ignore him. They knew me well. In fact, he knew me better than anyone else did. "Let's talk about exes!" Jamal yelled and we all stared at him as if he was crazy. "Oh come on, let's liven the evening up. We're just talking, remember?"

There was a pause and some hesitation before we all agreed. "Fine, what harm can it do?"

I should've disagreed. I should've declined the invitation but stupidly, I didn't. "Asia, you can start." Monica said as I shook my head, sobering up quickly.

"I have nothing to talk about."

"What? Girl, of course you do! Weren't you the one who told me that you were almost married one time?"