Turn of Events

I returned home from the dance class a few hours after, deciding to stay back a bit longer to delay any possible meeting with Ethan. I was grateful that Jamal had called us both in sick to work and so I had the rest of the day off.

I took a much needed walk around the block before returning to the apartment just to clear my head. I heard laughter and music  so I walked in. I watched as Ethan and Monica messed around with each other, playfighting on the rug in front of the sofa and I felt a pang in my heart. Monica was on top of him, trying to pinch him but he was trying to capture her vicious hands. Both had huge smiles on their faces and couldn't stop giggling.

I shut the door, bracing myself for the next few moments. "Ooh! Hey Asia, how was the class? You have fun?" Monica asked me, grabbing hold of Ethan's hands and pinning them on his chest. I briefly looked at him but he simply looked me up and down then returned to staring at the ceiling. 

"It was as fun as a first lesson could be, really. I'm gonna go shower cos I stink and then I'm gonna chill in my room for a while." Monica pouted and hopped off Ethan, who immediately sat up but still avoided eye contact.

I noticed then that she was dressed in only an oversized charcoal sweatshirt with a simple E.L on the breast. I recognised the sweatshirt instantly. I'd gotten the item for Ethan on one of our impromptu trips across the country. He'd lost his own jacket and when I'd spotted one with his initials on, I had to purchase it. The E.L actually stood for Earl's Lagoon but he didn't care.

It couldn't get any weirder than this, I thought.

"Oh, don't be a party pooper. Jamal is asleep and Ry is taking a shower but in a few hours, we all agreed to order some food and have some fun together before the boys leave."

"Oh they're leaving?" I kept my voice even.

Ethan pulled himself up and walked into the kitchen. "Don't sound too upset." He muttered, thinking that nobody heard.

I walked further into the room and Monica followed me. "Yeah but only for a few days. Ethan called his boss and asked him whether he can stay in town for a few more weeks just to plan the wedding and everything!"

I nearly choked on my spit. A few more weeks in his presence? "Oh. Super!"

"Yep! I can easily work from anywhere so that's not an issue. I'm just happy to be with my love for a few more weeks." He quipped, smiling at me. I saw right through it and rolled my eyes.

"Is Ryan staying too?" I asked and Monica grinned.

"Well, he said he doesn't mind staying so..." She winked at me and I sighed.

"Wait, where are they staying? Here?"

Monica looked sheepish. "That's what I wanted to ask you..."

"No." I remarked. "No, no and no." It was one thing being around him for two days but a few more weeks? I could not handle a few more weeks.

"Asia!"

"Monica! There's not enough space here for four people! We can't."

"You know what, she's right baby." Ethan said from the kitchen.

Monica shook her head. "No! Asia, stop being silly! We can fit them in here easily. Ethan can sleep with me and Ryan can... I don't know... maybe...?"

"Mon!"

"I'm just saying. Please, Asia. Please, please, please!" She walked towards Ethan and wrapped her arms around him. "I just got my baby back, please don't keep me away from him longer."

I rolled my eyes. "...Fine."

She jumped up and down, hugging him tighter.

The bathroom door opened and we heard footsteps coming towards the living room. "Hey Mon, where do you keep you- Oh Asia, you're back. Hi." My mouth suddenly went dry as Ryan stepped into the room, his towel hanging dangerously low on his hips. Dangerously low.