Moving On

I threw the used tissue in the trash and it landed right where the others were.

A huge pile of tissues.

All soaked in my tears.

I couldn't stop crying. Since the moment my dad opened the door, I'd fallen into his arms and cried my eyes out.

Unfortunately for me, Sydney decided to come and visit a few days later - unaware that I was there. He brought his wife Joseline with him. The witch that she was, she had tried to throw digs at me in the beginning but then she had caught me crying in my room.

"Knock knock." Her voice had echoed around my quiet bedroom as she opened the door fully.

I regretted not locking it.

Hastily, I was quick to try to get rid of all evidence that I had been crying.

"Your eyes are puffy and red as hell - you're attempts are useless." She had said as the bed dipped with her weight. I moved over a bit so that she would have some space to sit down next to me.

For minutes, we sat in silence and it was beginning to irritate me. I didn't understand why she had entered my room just to be quiet.

"Do you need a hug?"

"No." I answered.

"Do you need advice?"

"No."

"Well I'm going to give it to you anyway." Joseline replied. "Sharing and opening up about what's troubling you is always easier than keeping it in." She wrapped an arm around my shoulders, squeezing lightly. "You never know, the person you're telling may have been through the same stuff."

Grimacing, I shook my head. I doubted that she had been through what I was going through.

When I looked up into her amber eyes, I cracked. I had to tell someone else what was going through my mind.

So it all came spilling out.

Every single detail.

From the moment I found out about his infidelity to the huge argument with Monica.

Joseline had sat through my sobs and waited until I had finished the story before saying anything.

"Wow, I guess you're not as boring as I thought you were." She murmured and I cut my eyes at her. "Honey, what I think you need is to start over. You were always so unhappy whenever I'd see you and that's why I'm saying you were boring."

"Honestly, you just always looked unhappy so I think all of this has happened with perfect timing because it gives you a reason to leave that place and start over somewhere else." She continued and unfortunately I knew that she was correct.

I was very unhappy in California, I just held onto whatever I had over there simply because I viewed it as my escape from Seattle.

Seattle was where all my embarrassment lay and all my secrets were.

By being in California, I was running away from Seattle and that was why I hardly came to visit.

It hurt me to admit it, but Joseline was right.

I had to leave California and do it fast.

So there I was, sat on the sofa surrounded by tissues when the doorbell rang.

I checked the time and realised that Dad had gone to grab lunch with his old buddy and Joseline and Sydney had left a few days ago.

Cautiously, I opened the door, only to have my breath catch in my throat.