Memories Made, Promises Broken

"You're avoiding me."

I jumped and dropped all the papers that were in my hands onto the kitchen floor.

Shit, it was Ethan.

Cursing loudly and colourfully, I crouched down to pick them up but he had already bent down and grabbed them for me.

When I stood up again, he was glaring hard at me.

I simply shrugged before taking my stuff and the can of coke I had originally came into the kitchen for. With those in hand, I moved to leave but he stood in front of me, blocking my path.

Trying to not snap at him, I grasped the can tighter as I tried to side step him. To my annoyance, he stepped the exact same way as me.

So I tried again.

Only for him to do the same thing.

"I could go all day, I really could."

I kissed my teeth loudly. Only Ethan knew how to get on my nerves and how to do it quickly.

"I'm not avoiding you. Excuse me." I said through gritted teeth.

The bastard didn't move an inch. "That's the first thing you've said to me in three weeks." He replied. "Clearly you are avoiding me."

I shrugged again.

"For fuck's sake, Asia!" Ethan yelled, making me flinch slightly. "You're not going to talk?" He asked after a long pause. "Fine. I'll talk and you listen. Since you don't want to say anything - don't say anything. Don't cut me off and don't interrupt me. Keep ignoring me."

"No I have to-."

He covered my mouth with his hand, the other on the back of my head - keeping me in place.

"I don't like you ignoring me. Especially when we are both aware of how the other is feeling."

I tried to argue with him but he didn't loosen his hold on me. "Oh, now you want to talk?" He chuckled humourlessly. "You're supposed to be at your sister's. You're supposed to be running away from me, remember? Giving me time to sort my feelings out even though you know that I love you?"

My nostrils flaring in anger and my toes curled, I bit the hand that was over my mouth, making him release me.

"I was going to until you told Monica that you weren't sure if you still wanted to get married! What were you thinking?"

His eyebrows shot up in surprise. "What was I thinking? I was thinking about doing the right thing for once. And doing the right thing means telling the truth!"

I scoffed.

"Telling the- oh, that is rich! And how did Monica take it when you told her about our engagement? Or about our kiss last month?"

Running a hand through his hair, he slammed his fist down on the counter beside him. "At least I am trying! I'm telling her the truth just in my own time. You? You're breaking your back for her and going out of your way to make her feel as if you are the amazing friend when you're wrong in this too." Ethan exclaimed. "At least I am making it clear that things are not okay."

I blinked as I registered everything that he was saying.

I hated to admit it but he was right.

He was still in the wrong but at least he was slowly making some progress and yet here I was, trying to find caterers for Monica even though I knew full well that there was a chance of the wedding not commencing.

Biting my lip, I put everything in my hands on the counter and replaced those items with my head. With my head bowed and in my hands, I took deep breaths.