The Storm

Absentmindedly I stirred my coffee as my mind produced images of the nightmare I had had that morning.

It started off as a dream.

Ethan and I finally getting married. My wedding dress was black but that didn't quite matter to me - all that I cared about was the fact that it was finally happening. Ethan was to be my husband and that was all that I cared about.

Then I was walking down the aisle.

Looking at all of my friends and family who were congratulating me and grinning at me - happy for me.

When I looked back at the altar, there was already a bride there, her long white gown and veil obscuring her face from view.

As I neared her and Ethan, she turned around and it was Monica, tears running down her face.

"Why did you hurt me, Asia?"

Over and over again she chanted those words as all my friends and family's smiling faces distorted into scowls and glares.

Then the walls started closing in on me.

Louder and louder they all yelled abuse at me, hurling rocks in my direction.

So I ran.

I ran out of the church only to find Ethan standing right in front of me. He placed two hands on either side of my neck and leaned in closer to my face.

"I'll always be wherever you are, Asia."

Then his hands got hotter. Warmer and warmer they became until his hands were scolding my skin. I screamed and yelled but he wouldn't let go of me, instead squeezing his hold and in turn squeezing the life out of me.

I woke up in a sweat, my heart racing frantically.

"Asia, girl you okay?"

Snapping out of my daze, I turned towards Jamal.

I nodded, still not quite there.

He shut the door behind him and walked towards me, a worried expression on his face.

"What is going on? For the past couple of weeks you've been walking around here like a zombie, what's up?"

I sighed before shaking my head and pushing my hair away from my face.

"I am just fine. Tired that's all." I offered him another smile before trying to leave. I was too slow, he side stepped me, blocking my path.

"Asia. I know when something is up. What is wrong honey?"

I finally made eye contact with him. "Is it that obvious?" Jamal nodded sadly. "I think I'm going to go away for a while Jamal."

"Why?"

"Because I am messing up everything here. 26 and a mistress? What kind of a life am I living?"

Jamal's jaw dropped and I expected him to curse me out for committing such a sin but instead he pulled me into a warm hug.

Rubbing his hand up and down my back, I placed my head in the crook of his neck and let him try to make me feel better.

"You really love this guy don't you?" He asked and I nodded.

We stayed as we were for a few more moment before he pulled away and held my hand, using our joint fingers to tilt my chin up.

"You are worth more than this, Asia." Jamal said, as I looked away. "Look at me. Honey, you should not lower yourself to this. You love that boy and I know you do but this has all become toxic. You're ruining your own health with this entire situation and I hate seeing you like this."