Hallelujah, I Love Her So

“So, uh, where are we going now?” He asked, looking up at me as he continued to drive down the dark streets of Liverpool.
“I don’t know,” I answered, “It is getting quite late.”

“So much for our first date, am I right?” He scoffed lightly, looking back at the road. “Do you maybe, umm..” he stuttered, “want to come to my place? We could watch a film or something like that.” He smiled, his face red once again, “I just don’t want to end this night on a bad note.”
“Alright, I’d like that.”

“Really?” He smiled, “alright, my place it is.”
He turned to the next corner, which was a small apartment complex. He entered and then parked the car.
“What were you trying to do, kidnap me if I said no?” I chuckled.

“Of course not,” he exited the car, coming around the other way to let me out, “after you, dear.”

“Thank you,” He closed the car door, and we walked up the steps up to his apartment.
He got his key out of his pocket and unlocked the door, opening it to reveal a surprisingly neat apartment. He shut the door behind us as I looked around the small, but secluded place. The sofa was pressed against the left wall, with a television set in front of it. The dining room was on the right, then a long hallway that led to the bedrooms.
“So, uh, what do you think?” He stuttered a bit, and I could tell that he was nervous.
“It’s nice.” I answered. “Do you mind if I sit?” I asked, walking towards the sofa.

“No, no, of course not. Please, sit.”
Just then, he tripped over the leg of the television, sending him flying into the sofa. He lifted his head slowly to look at me, but noticed that I was laughing so hard I was crying.
“You think this is funny, huh?” He stood up, smiling and laughing a bit to himself.
We stood in front of each other, me still laughing at the previous event.
“Well, would you like it if I threw you out of the apartment?” He crossed his arms, but I could tell he was joking by the small smile still coming up every now and then.
“You- you would.” I still laughed, covering my mouth as my face turned red.

“Fine, I was only teasing. Want to watch a film now?”

“Sure.”
I sat down as Paul went over to the telly, switching the channels.
“You want to watch this?” He asked, stopping on the film It’s A Wonderful Life.

“Yeah, I love this film.”

“Good, cause I’ve never seen it before. Could you tell me what it’s about?” He sat down and smiled, grabbing the blanket above him and putting it over himself.

“Well, it’s a long story. It’s basically just the life of this guy who wants to throw his life away, but an angel saves him. It does go into specific detail from when he was a young boy to when he was married with children, but it’s a great film.”

I chuckled, a bit embarrassed because I had talked so much. He still sat there and smiled. “Fascinating.” He turned to the telly, slowly moving closer towards me. I got myself comfortable and rested my head on his shoulder, causing him to blush again.
After about 20 minutes of watching, I fell tired. I didn’t want to sleep, so instead, I pretended to to trick him.
“Gloria? Are you awake?”
I didn’t answer. He then got up and turned off the light and telly, then got back on the couch and cuddled closer to me.
“I think I’m in love with you.” He whispered into my ear.
I was still awake and heard all the things he was telling me while he thought I was asleep. I felt his cold lips against my cheek for a moment, before I heard soft snoring next to me. I opened my eyes to see his face pressed against my neck, sound asleep. I guess I was staying the night there.