25 | The Calamity

─────── ☆*・゜゚・*♡ ───────

Friday, November 15th

─────── ☆*・゜゚・*♡ ───────

Today was my birthday.

Varushka was the first to wish me a happy birthday when she entered my room with a homemade cake that she made the night before. She said she was trying her best to be quiet while she baked it. The frosting was a light lavender color and the inside was a spongy vanilla cake with strawberry filling. It's the same flavor of cake that I receive every year and I honestly loved that.

She made me make a wish before I could devour a piece. I didn't have anything in mind so I used it to wish for Ambrose to wake up.

Usually I have to go to school on my birthday, but today my parents let me stay home. Either way, I wasn't going to go. It just didn't feel right to go to school and have attention on me when I would rather be beside Ambrose.

"And where would the birthday girl want to go get brunch at?" My mom asks as she hands me a medium sized white gift box.

"I don't really mind where," I say, giving her a smile as I receive the gift. "What is it?" I ask, chuckling at the excitement on my mom's face.

"We can choose a place when we're in the car and this is something that I was trying to give you when you were to turn eighteen, but by then you'll be in college and I won't see you until the holidays," she says, grasping her hands together.

Right, college. I still haven't even looked at the essay prompts I'm supposed to write. I haven't even made a clear distinct list of the schools I wanted to go to or even think of applying in case my first choice of school doesn't work out. There were a lot of things that I haven't done, and giving a fuck was one of them.

I removed the top of the gift box and set it beside me on the bed next to the plate that Varushka had given me my slice of cake. I push aside the purple tissue paper that was laid on top of my actual gift and my eyes widen.

"Mom," I gasp out, "T-this is beautiful." I carefully grab the silver chained necklace from the velvet plush case it came in.

"It has eighteen diamond roses to symbolize your start of adulthood and for you to transcend into the woman you're destined to be," she says, smiling warmly at me, "it was mine when I was eighteen and it was grandma's then too."

Right in the middle of where the necklace was, laid a matching set of diamond earrings to accompany it.

"Thank you mom, this really means a lot to me." I wrap my arms around her and she easily returns the hug.

I haven't felt my mom's warm hug or touch since the last talk we had about Ethan two months ago. It was when Ethan was trying to give me hints about wanting to do things that I wasn't ready for. I feel tears prick at the corner of my eyes and quickly wipe them away before she sees them.