40 | The Return

─────── ☆*・゜゚・*♡ ───────

Tuesday, March 25th

─────── ☆*・゜゚・*♡ ───────

We managed to hang for a couple more hours until the sun was beginning to set. The group told countless stories about our wild and chaotic preteen years.

Evangeline got to hear it all and even laughed at some of the stories. Logan was our storyteller and everyone was easily entertained by him.

When it came time to finally leave, Evangeline was pulled to the side by Jezabel. I didn't know what that was all about, but I didn't interfere after I paid close attention to Evangeline's body language.

I knew when she was uncomfortable, bothered about something, or when she was annoyed.

Instead she wore a smile on her face as she chatted away with my ex-girlfriend. I didn't think that this day would come or that I would run into Jezabel ever again. It wasn't my intention to, it just sort of happened.

Logan was there and so was everybody else. I should've seen it coming when I saw her close friends sitting beside each other. She thought that I had returned for her and I felt guilty for making her think that.

Yeah, I made a mistake getting into drinking again to forget about what Evangeline had done. Jezabel almost used that to her advantage, but it was most of my doing. I didn't want to go back to Evangeline that easily, but when she actually showed up my mind had been changed quickly.

I was relieved to see that Jezabel wasn't like her old self. Almost a year of not seeing each other seemed to do her good. She was back on her meds and was mentally doing better. I still didn't like that she was hanging with people that used to feed her drugs whenever she would ask for them.

"Hey, I'm ready," Evangeline says, slipping her hand into mine. She offers me a smile pretty much letting me know that everything is well.

Jezabel follows right behind and has a small smile on her face. Something that was very rare to see.

"So will you ever come to visit again?" Jezabel asks.

I shake my head. "Probably not."

She nods understandingly and gives Evangeline a final glance and averts her eyes back to me. "Maybe it was best you moved away. I'm sorry for pulling that kind of stuff onto you." She wears a melancholic smile.

I hope you find your peace.

She takes a second to read my hands and surprises me when she responds. "I'm trying. I actually took a class to finally learn sign language. I wish I would've put more effort into our relationship."

I really wondered what Evangeline and Jezabel's conversation was all about, that she was apologizing for the past.

"We should get going before the cops come on this side of the town. They like to get you for breaking curfew," Logan says, jiggling his keys in his hand. "Not all of the houses are abandoned like they think they are."