Chapter Four: Gifts

The next day, Marinette opens her phone first thing in the morning and is greeted by a message from Adrien. She immediately sits up in her bed, wide awake. Tikki is floating right behind her shoulder, curious. "Hey, as you know, I was in complete isolation without contact with anyone. I'm back in Paris if you want to meet up and talk about recent events. I'm sure it was just as devastating to witness as it was for me to hear about." Marinette reads aloud to Tikki. "Ooo, you should go talk to him; he probably really needs someone right now," Tikki advises Marinette, looking at her in the eyes. Marinette extends her arms with her phone and vigorously shakes her head in retaliation. "NO, I can't do that! What if I accidentally tell him?" She exclaims, having a wave of anxiety wash over her whole being. "Marinette, you need to see him; how would you feel if he brushed you off if you had something similar occur to you?" Marinette winces at that thought and immediately starts to text him back, "Yes, I would love to! Where would you like to meet?" She sends it and then looks at the double wedding band on her desk. "UGH, TIKKI, WHAT AM I GOING TO DO IF HE WANTS TO COME OVER???" She complains, worried about her identity. "Give it to him as Ladybug, Marinette!" Tikki exclaims.
"Of course! I'll meet as Ladybug before I meet him as Marinette!" She says confidently as her phone buzzes. She threw her phone in response, and Tikki floated over to her phone, "There's a pool party at two this afternoon in celebration at his place; he would love you to join him...of course, there will be others there with you too!" Tikki exclaims to Marinette, excited for her to see Adrien for the first time in weeks. "TWO? WHAT TIME IS IT?" She screamed, panicked to her little friend, looking at the clock in her room that reads noon. "TIKKI SPOTS ON WE HAVE TO GO NOW!"

Ladybug grabs the wedding bands and immediately swings out of her balcony trap door towards the Agreste Manor. She starts thinking how odd it may be for Ladybug to appear in his bedroom in the middle of the day when there hasn't been any coverage of him arriving home since the media has been focusing on Paris's new environmental protection regulations enforced by Mayor Bustier and the news on the defeat of Monarch. The media has already moved on from Gabriel Agreste's death after the monument was planted in his honor. After 10 minutes of swinging, she arrived at his bedroom window. He sat at his desk, watching news outlets and discussing his father. Ladybug sighed at the white lie she had started before tapping on his window. He jumps slightly before turning around, "Ladybug?" He exclaims, making sure Plagg isn't in sight. He walks over to the window, letting her in.
"What are you doing here, M...Ladybug?" He asks, hoping she didn't notice his mistake. "I'm sorry about your father, Adrien; I found these left behind after the battle." She said, handing him the two banded wedding rings. He looks at her in shock, "T-thank you, Ladybug, I appreciate it... can you stay and tell me more about how he helped you in the battle?" He asks, not sure if he would get a direct answer. Ladybug hesitates before responding, "I don't think now is the time; I'm sorry, Adrien. I have to go. I have some..... important manners to attend to. I'm sorry." She apologized profusely before leaving immediately after. Adrien watches her leave and sighs at his brief interaction with one of his closest friends. He looks down at the only remains he had directly from his father during his brave battle.  He puts both rings on his opposite hand from his miraculous. Plagg comes out from the drawer, looking at the rings he was gifted back into his possession.

Adrien looks at Plagg with a stern look on his face, almost puzzled. "It was nice of Ladybug to immediately return the rings once she knew you were back in Paris," Plagg comments to lighten the mood. "Yeah, it was a thoughtful gesture; I just want to know how she knew I came back so soon." He states, "There hasn't really been a lot of media outlets swarming me, surprisingly." He continues thinking about who would know he returned in time for the beginning of summer. "Uh, maybe she heard through a mutual friend?" Plagg says slyly, trying his best to protect Ladybug's secret identity. Adrien ponders his Kwamis thought process and immediately starts thinking about Marinette, "Do you think that Marinette could've said something to someone, and it spread." Plagg sat there paralyzed, unsure of how to respond. "Or could Marinette be Ladybug... no, that would be impossible. Ladybug did entrust her to the mouse miraculous, but that very well could be from the fox miraculous illusion..." Adrien speculates quietly. "Don't you have to prepare for your little party, Adrien? Also, a lot of your friends are aware of you being back in Paris; you did invite them all to this big party after all," Plagg reminds him. "You're right, Plagg. I need to get my mind off of these ridiculous thoughts and focus on the now, along with hanging out with my dear friends," he says, walking over to his wardrobe and gathering his belongings for the quick swim with the girl he loves before heading over to her place to pick her up.