Chapter Forty: Speculation

Chat Noir finds Ladybug on a nearby roof scouting the area. "Hello M'Lady, sorry for being a little late. Got caught up-" Ladybug shakes her head cutting him off, "You're no later than me, I just got here!" She smiles leaning against the railing staring down at the Parisians roaming around the streets.
  Chat Noir sighs joining her in watching, "Have you seen the news... and what they want us to do?" He asks frowning watching Andre the ice cream man hand a couple a sweet treat. Ladybug sighs turning away from the streets, "Yes, and I also saw the updated version to calm down Paris." She says sitting against the railing and covering her face. He looks down at her, "Yeah, not good. I know." He whispers as he sits next to her. She lays her head on his shoulder, "I don't think I can do it, I'll try to make a compromise, but who knows if it'll work," She responds as her voice begins to shake from the pressure. Chat looks down and nods, "I figured you wouldn't be that easy to control," he laughs softly fidgeting with his ring.
  She looks up at him, "Absolutely not, no one can know our identities. Even after the defeat of Monarch, Chrysalis is just as much as a threat as he was." She remarks leaning away from him and putting her fist up.
  He sighs, "Yeah, no one can know." He mutters looking away from her pulling his knees to his chest. She blinks, "Have you been thinking of telling someone?" She accuses glaring at him. His eyes widen looking back at her, "No. I wouldn't." He states sternly glaring back at her. Her glaze softened looking away from him, "I'm sorry I shouldn't have-" "No, it's okay I have been persistent since we met. I understand the importance." He acknowledges laying his head on his knees. She nods, "I'm sorry it has to be like this, Chat." She frowns also pulling her knees to her chest. He tilts his head to face her, "It's not your fault, I have to keep them safe too." He mumbles into his knees. She smiles gently looking away.
  "Do you think you know what the consequences could be?" Chat asks pulling his head away from his knees. Ladybug blinks thinking of the visions she had a few nights ago. "No, unless it was Paris revolting against us," she half jokes smiling. Chat shakes his head, "No, that was a given." He pondered laying his head down on his knees again. "Do you have any ideas?" She asks tilting her head.
  Chat bites his cheek lifting his head up for his knees to prop up his head. "I figure it'll be something mythical. Something we couldn't expect or explain... not a whole city revolting after being manipulated." He states numbly looking away from her.
  Ladybug sighs grabbing the railing from behind her to help her up. "Yeah, you're right." She mumbles looking over the Paris streets again. "Do you have an idea what the wish could've been? Gabriel Agreste didn't verbally state it at least from what I remember since the universe was sort of rewritten," she half jokes again leaning against the railing.
  Chat Noir freezes thinking about Nathalie and the possibility of his mother. That will reveal too much. He thought before joining her watching over the city. "Not a clue." He whispers placing his hand over his head. "I figured it would've been his wife... but she faded to dust just like he did." She suggests laying her head down on the railing. He bites his tongue to prevent any sort of emotion showing. "Who knows maybe she did come back, obviously you don't have any relations with Adrien Agreste for you to know for sure," He implies to shake the possibility of suspicion. She glances at him, "Yeah, none at all. All I know is that he was a model before his father passed." She lied looking back at him. "I assume you don't either then?" She inquires scanning him up and down. He shakes his head, "He probably wouldn't want us to ask about it either since he just lost his father anyways." He answers in a low tone. She nods, "It would be insensitive to ask him about his mother especially after everything he's gone through." She explains walking to the other side of the building.
  Chat watches her scan the surroundings of Paris. "I'm glad this new user isn't as desperate as Gabriel Agreste with akumatizing people on the daily basis," Chat jokes walking over to her pulling out his staff. She laughs in response, "Sure, but she seems to have more strategy than he did. Which isn't something to be entirely enthusiastic about," She explains sarcastically looking back at him as he grabs her by the waist and vaults upwards.
  "I wish you didn't do this when you were bored, you know?" She groans crossing her arms as he guides them through the clouds. He snickers, "A better view to look over Paris of course!" He suggests jokingly. "Not funny," she grumbled facepalming in response.
  Chat's demeanor changes looking over at her, "Did you tell Argos your identity?" He inquires as Ladybug's face dropped. "Are you serious? Is that why you brought me up here to try to get me to tell you my identity? After telling yo-" "That's not what I asked, Ladybug," he sighs pressing his head against his hand that was holding the staff in annoyance.
  She glares at him, "No, I didn't willingly tell him. Nor did I willingly tell anyone else that knows." She growls looking away from him. Chat sighs looking down at the rooftop they were just on. "How can you trust someone like him after everything he's done?" He asks in a hurtful tone. She looks over at him, "He hasn't told anyone else has he? That's how I know I can trust him." She hissed. Chat blinks, "So you think I would blab about it."
  "That's not what I said, you know why you can't know." She sighs as he begins to lower them both. "Haven't we talked about this countless of times by now, Chat Noir?" She adds stepping down out of his grasp onto the platform below. He shrugs, "I have to remain consistent. What if you change your mind?" He smirks placing his hands on his hips in a joking manner.
  Ladybug glares at him, "I trust you, Chat Noir. It's the enemy I don't trust. What if they force one of us to talk? It's the same for the government. It would be easy for Chrysalis to gather the information from them, the same goes for you and me." She explains pacing across the roof top. "I get it, it puts our miraculouses and everyone else in danger." He says grabbing her shoulder to stop her from pacing.
  She looks up at him, "You say that everytime, but you never learn." She points out as tears form in her eyes. "Do you think I don't want to tell you or want to know who my partner has been for the last year and a half. I do. But I know I can't know, Chat Noir!" She exclaims almost sobbing. He frowns, "I'm sorry, Ladybug." He whispers watching her begin to cry.
  She wipes her tears, "We have a job to do. Let's go." She states as sternly as her voice allows it. He nods following her off the roof.