Chapter Nineteen: Identity

Marinette's POV
  I start shaking, looking up at Luka, who hovers above me on his bed. He's been waiting forever for me to begin what I came here for, but I just can't find a way to tell him. I inhale, "Before I tell you anything, do you promise not to hate me, no matter the circumstances." I trembled as my left leg began to bounce to release some of the anxiety. He nods without saying another word. It's almost as if he already knows why I'm here. "As you know... I defeated Monarch... and I haven't told anyone the true identity of Monarch. Not even Chat Noir." I start twiddling my thumbs, looking away from making eye contact with him. He inhales sharply, "And why is that, Marinette?" He questions, genuinely curious behind my motives.
"Aren't you guys supposed to be partners and tell each other everything that involved both of you?" He adds, laying his cheek on his palm leaning down closer to me. I bite my lip, "The issue is... he promised me not to tell anyone who he was as a part of his wish..." I whisper, feeling my heart racing. Luka was silent, his breathing increased, "Marinette... you need to tell him." He whispers back, sliding off his bed to sit in front of me on his floor so we would make eye contact. My eyes begin to water, "I- I lied to everyone. I can't." I murmured tightly, closing my eyes to avoid contact.
  I hear Luka sigh and some shifting in the process, "Marinette, you have patrol tonight with him. And you will tell him." He demands as I slowly open my eyes to no longer see him in front of me. I scan the room, desperate to find him, "Luka, please-" I whimper, turning around watching him look for something in his drawer. "I'll help you the best I can, Marinette. However, it will be up to you if I use it." He replies numbly as Sass comes out from behind him. He walks back over to me, now towering over me. "Second chance..." I whisper, running my shaking fingers through my right pigtail. "You need to tell him." He demands with absolutely no expression across his face. "Marinette, I understand why you had to. But lying to him as well and the rest of us for months is enough to drive anyone crazy." He adds, reaching down to help me up from his chair. "You're supposed to trust all of us; that's why you gave us our miraculouses." I stand slowly, my knees wobbly. "W-what if he hates me," I whisper, clenching my fists as hard as possible. He touched my shoulder, "You'll have me and the rest who understand." He half smiles, having complete trust in me. My heart sank as the tears I held in for so long began to pour down my face. I wrap my arms around him, sobbing, "Luka, I'm so sorry." I cried, using him as support so my legs wouldn't give out on me. "I know, you must go; it's almost your shift." He acknowledged as he pushed me away.

Chat Noir's POV
  I sit on a rooftop, observing Paris alone. Ladybug was supposed to be here fifteen minutes ago. She's the one enforcing the buddy system, yet she isn't even here? She probably got caught up in something. I watch the lit-up city; it's strangely peaceful. It's honestly like a breath of fresh air seeing Paris like this instead of mass panic. I begin to doze off; it's been 20 minutes since I relieved Vesperia and Miss Hound from their patrolling positions. Vesperia tried to stay with me until Ladybug returned, but I told her she would be here soon. I wish I could go back and ask her to stay so I wouldn't be this bored.

Vrrr Vrrr

  I open my staff and see an incoming call from Ladybug. I sigh out of relief, opening the message. "Hey, Chat, I'm running a little late. Can you meet me on the top of the Eiffel Tower?" She asks me from a secluded spot from her end. "I'll be there quicker than a cat chasing a laser pointer!" I chuckle; I'm so funny; she hangs out without saying anything else.

  I land on the landing of the peak of the Eiffel Tower. We share a lot of memories here. It's no wonder she wants to watch all of Paris up here with me. She hasn't arrived yet, shocking. I lean over the ledge, staring down at the Parisians who decided tonight was a good night to stay up until midnight. At this point, there are two hours left on our shift; she's a whole hour behind, and she should've just asked someone to cover for her. She's too stubborn for that, unfortunately.