Chapter Thirteen: Bad Luck

Marinette's POV
I wake up to my alarm and stretch my arms wide. I look over at my desk, covered in papers from the night prior. I had stayed up until one in the morning trying to devise a way to tell Chat Noir who Monarch was, to no avail. I reach over to my nightstand and grab my phone. My eyes widen, realizing what time it was, "IT'S 7:45???" I shouted, jumping out of my bed in disbelief. I even woke up to my alarm in the first place. It must have been going off for at least fifteen minutes at this point. I started a call with Adrien, hoping he would pick up. To my enjoyment, he does. "Hey Marinette, did you oversleep again?" He teases as I rush to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I roll my eyes and nod quickly, applying the toothpaste to my pink brush.  He laughs, "You're going to be late if you continue at this pace." He continues as he exits his car, thanking Gorilla on his way out. I spit the minty paste and run back to my bedroom, quickly changing...off camera, of course. I grab my bag and purse, Tikki not far behind.
Adrien hangs up after the first bell goes off, "Well, hopefully, you make it here on time. I need to go to Physics, don't forget the block change!" He laughs as I begin booking it on foot, hoping to get there within the next 5 minutes. I completely forgot about the shifting schedule; I have Human Anatomy, which is on the completely other side of the school from the entrance. I open my bag and look down at Tikki, who is laughing at my misery. I close it immediately and focus on running, hoping my legs won't give out by the time I get there.
I finally arrived at the school entrance, only three minutes late. Due to being late, I had to scan my ID at the gate for them to allow me in. I scanned my ID, and then I began booking it again; I could feel all the books shift in my bag as I ran up the stairs. By the time I got into the school, I speed-walked to prevent myself from getting into any more trouble than I already was. I push open the door to my human anatomy lab, feeling all eyes on me; god, they already started instruction, and here I am, tardy. The teacher scolds me before pointing towards my seat next to Alya. I walk over and lay my head on the desk. "Girl, it's the second day." She whispers jokingly. I sigh, picking my head up and looking at our teacher to continue introducing us to the skeletal system. "I know; I'll have to tell you about last night later," I mutter, taking my notebook out of my bag. Alya sighs, "On the bright side... We're having an assembly during the second block." She whispers, trying to cheer me up in any way possible at this point. I sighed in relief; I was really not looking forward to Advanced Composition.

Alya and I make our way to the Auditorium and meet up with everyone else. Adrien walks down the hall with Nino and Max beside him, talking about whatever class they just came from, I assume. He waves at me, smiling; he looks much happier than he did a few months ago despite losing a parent. "Hey, Marinette, glad to see you made it here without problems." He beamed, grabbing my hands as students walked by, flooding into the auditorium. "Y-yeah, I was only five minutes late this morning." I giggled as our friends watched, "W-we should head inside before the seats are all gone." I stutter, motioning to the open door. He nods and leads me inside. Our friends follow close behind. We find an empty row, which we all fill. "Did you get any repercussions for being late for your class?" He asks, sitting down in one of the theater-like chairs. I sit next to him, our hands still intertwined, "A visual warning let me off; she did not look too impressed by me. Even though I did just run like two miles." I shrug, half laughing at myself. He smiles back at me as the rest of the room is filled with students of all ages.
The auditorium filled quickly, and the heat filled the room just as fast. I could feel the sweat on my forehead; hopefully, this doesn't last long. Mr. Damocles takes the stage and tests the microphone before speaking. "Good morning, students; I hope you're second day has been going well. I feel it necessary to directly discuss our new regulations face-to-face before implementing them on you. So, after this, all rules must be followed, and it will be up to your instructors to enforce whatever rules they wish in their classroom." He begins looking at all of us; he meant pure business. I wonder if this was Chat's idea after yesterday's event; it definitely was he's such a people pleaser. "First and foremost, using cellular devices is strictly prohibited unless during lunch hour or in between instruction courses unless said otherwise by your respective instructors." Yeah, we expected that move on. I look over at Adrien; he's slowly dozing off. I nudged him with my elbow, hoping he would wake up. He jumps and continues to try to focus on the trash we're being fed.
After a long regulation speech, most being common sense, Mr. Damocles inhales sharply. "Now, what most of you actually care about is student representative and student council. We will be holding elections in the next few weeks, so keep your eyes peeled for whoever may be wanting to represent you." He finishes and walks towards the edge of the stage. I felt an elbow in my rib coming from next to me; Alya was nudging me. I looked over at her and everyone else who had been staring at me since he said the words, "Student representative." I sigh, "I'll run." I say with a grin before I feel an extra ten pounds land on my shoulder. I whip my head to find Adrien passed out. We all laugh, waking him up. "Huh? Is it over?" He groans, sitting up.