04, SAVIOUR

CHAPTER 04: SAVIOUR

She cried out in pain as the polearm went through her stomach

She cried out in pain as the polearm went through her stomach. Her arms shook as she tried to defend herself against the super-strong enemy.

Evelynn was on a mission to stop a drug dealer from making super-strong drugs, the same kind the Nuclear Family had taken years ago. It turns out that Dr. Adamson had hidden lots of these drugs all over the cities.

Each of the Bat kids had a job to find these drugs in specific cities, and Evelynn's job was in Gotham City.

Her vision was blurry, and the pain in her stomach was almost too much to handle. Maybe she should have listened to Batman's advice and brought someone with her. She didn't realize how serious the situation was. After all, it's Gotham, and anything can happen. Fuck me I guess.

She was really scared, like, freaking out kind of scared. Evelynn tried to run away, but it didn't work. Instead, she felt this shocking pain in her stomach, and there was this big, open wound. Somehow, she found a hidden spot in the quiet streets of Gotham City, making her way into an alley.

Her shaky arm reached into her usual black leather pants, and there it was—a specific syringe Tim always gave her for missions. Despite her mumbling and groaning, she tried to control her breathing.

She tore off her top, revealing the red mess and exposed flesh. Evelynn's chest went up and down visibly, a clear sign she was panicking. Blood was gushing out, and without wasting any time, she jabbed the syringe near the bloody wound.

Her trembling fingers found a familiar gadget—something she never went without. Evelynn clutched Mariane's pager, tears welling in her eyes.

"Only emergencies."

Closing her eyes, she held onto the pager, a glimmer of hope in her heart. It had been eight long years, but she couldn't shake the feeling that Mariane would answer. She always did when they needed help... Surely she'd come this time too?

With hands shaking, she pressed the button on the pager. It blinked once, then emitted a sound, reminiscent of a ticking bomb. A symbol appeared on its small screen—a unique design, circles and curved lines, something she'd seen before.

No turning back now.

At that moment, the echo of hurried footsteps reached Evelynn's ears. Oh no. She bit her lip, pressing herself against the cold stone wall, trying to blend into the shadows, hoping they wouldn't spot her.

"There you are."

When she glanced up, a gun was already pointed at her. It was the first time she admitted defeat; closing her eyes, tears streaming down her cheeks.

Images of her brothers, her family, her father, and Alfred flashed through her mind. What added to the welling tears was the bitter belief she held about time being cruel, not just to her, but to Mariane and everyone else.